Forum home The potting shed

Is it me?

Is it me or should thease be flowering now?

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 15,331
    I think the heat sent a lot of things dormant and now they think it is Spring. My Hamamelis lost all its leaves, and now has new ones.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • I too have had weird goings on. Lot's of things not flowering; Bears britches, Day Lilies, Peonies, irises...
  • MarlorenaMarlorena East AngliaPosts: 5,314
    I have a 'Nerine' opened today, this is about a month early for me..

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 15,331
    I have three pots of nerines open and one in bud. These were a job lot of four different varieties, all labelled and planted separately. They didn't flower last year. This year I have three pots of identical pink sort, and possibly a pot of white. Do you think it is too late to complain to the supplier?
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • RubytooRubytoo On the sofa, Southerly aspect.Posts: 1,286
    @fidgetbones. I do not think it is too late.
    That is the trouble with having plants sometimes waiting until they flower.
    If they are reputable there should not be a problem.
    We bought a Clematis Perle d'Azur for a relative last year, and when it flowered it was a pink stripey one, no way a blue shade of any description.
    The company we bought it from apologized, quickly refunded the costs and said keep the plant as they did not have a replacement.
    They either trust customers, value their reputation, or know/knew there was a problem with a batch perhaps. Mistakes happen.
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 18,625
    I have a bottlebrush tree which is just about to flower, too.

I have a delphinium which is looking fantastic.

And I have a spring flowering rhododendron which has also come into bloom in the last week. There will be nothing left for next spring so far as I can tell.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.