Forum home Problem solving

The slugs win according to the RHS...

Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,876
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

• purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 4,634
    Saw that too @Pete8 not one worked.🙄
  • Hampshire_HogHampshire_Hog Hampshire Coast 100m from the seaPosts: 1,089
    Interesting reading the bit I liked best was the new word “slugocide” I will be using this in future.

"You don't stop gardening because you get old, you get old because you stop gardening." - The Hampshire Hog
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,587
    The RHS used salad plants for their trial.  I use salads - soft, succulent lettuces - as sacrificial plants to keep slugs away from treasures.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 6,336
    Do you find that works, Obs? I seem to have slugs who just treat it as a side salad to the main dish
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first” 
    Yes - in the sense that I could easily find and remove them before they got to the main course.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 3,601
    I have been conducting my own experiment since late February this year because I have a particularly bad problem with slugs. At present, I am cautiously hopeful that it is working. About five evenings a week I go out for one hour and collect all the slugs I can find and dispose of them. From April U was collecting between 200 and 600 each night. The drought helped of course. Now I am only finding about 40. I hope that by reducing the breeding population it may be possible to grow a number of plants more successfully next year. We shall see.
  • B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 24,102
    I came across slug or snail eggs the other day. When you see how many there are in a clutch,it's not surprising how many mature ones there are about. :(

I find a lot of slugs lurking under plants that they don't eat. I never used to think of looking there but I suppose it makes sense -there's more shelter under a plant that you haven't defoliated.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • stewyfizzstewyfizz West BromwichPosts: 161
    Well using copper tape on ground-sown plants would obviously be useless as they can tunnel underneath. Dont need the RHS to tell me that. 😕
    Gardening. The cause of, and solution to, all of my problems.
  • herbaceousherbaceous OxfordshirePosts: 2,313
    I use copper tape on really cheap lawn edging to enclose vulnerable veg, it has always seemed to work as beans, peas, cornichon etc all un-nibbled. Now I'm wondering if it's worth just using the edging as a barrier without the copper tape? Definitely going to try that next year, always have too many plants for the space so might just sacrifice a few.
    "The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."  Sir Terry Pratchett
    When I pick rhubarb I cut the leaves off there and then and leave them on the ground.  In my Belgian garden this worked a treat as slugs would shelter there.  Haven't had any mature enough to pick here yet.