Forum home The potting shed

Relocating tulip bulbs

I planted some red tulips in pots last year which were lovely but now I've decided to replant them into the garden instead. I emptied them out of the pots today and notice that some of them have had "babies" . Do I split them or plant as is with baby attached. Also, I accidentally sliced through a couple while trying to get them out of the pot, Can I still plant them or have I ruined them?

• Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 7,393
    Hi Vivien,  I believe the baby bulbs are not viable and should be detached and thrown away.  Unfortunately the sliced bulbs are not likely to regrow either.  I should cut your losses and buy some new bulbs as there is o guarantee with tulips that they will flower well a second time.  You should also wait until November to plant after a cold spell.
  • Ok, thanks for info Lizzie.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 36,251
    edited September 2018
    What variety are they Vivien? If they're the red Apeldoorn ones - they will come back. Those only come in yellow and red, and are good repeat performers. They're tall, with big single blooms.
    The Little Red Riding Hood ones also come back. They have distinctive marbled foliage, and are quite small.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• I have about 50% luck with tulips reflowering. I have about thirty varieties