Forum home The potting shed

ladybird invasion.

• Yes, Lyn, I remember when we had swarms of ladybirds, too. It was 1976. There were thousands of them.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 66,205
    Red maple said:
    Yes, Lyn, I remember when we had swarms of ladybirds, too. It was 1976. There were thousands of them.
    And that summer we had a heatwave. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• What's the best way to get rid of them?
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 7,310
    Generally they are not considered a pest, but a good thing.  :)  Have you got them overwintering in your house ?  
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,520
    What's the best way to get rid of them?
     :( 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 23,432
    Leave them alone.  Ladybirds and their larvae feast on aphids so are the gardener's friend.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • We have 100,s of ladybirds nesting in our wooden windows. We are having new windows soon and I don,t want to kill them. I have made a home for some of them with rolled up cardboard and put it in the shed in a corner. Am I doing the right thing! Thanks
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 16,829
    Oh yes Michael,  you’re doing the right thing, how can anyone say how do you get rid of them,  I had hardly any this summer,  would love some more. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 2,176
    My neighbour runs a B&B. In September two young guests booked in, saw a small cluster of “dirty ladybugs” on the window frame and promptly left. Snowflakes! My neighbour didn’t care - they’d paid in advance.
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 15,299
    We have a heatwave every summer in Dordogne and the spare room, south and west facing, is always full of them in autumn.
    Dordogne and Norfolk