Seasonal diet

Tin potTin pot Posts: 678
Hi all,

Im not into growing my own veg (yet), but after my first twelve months as a gardener I am interested in seasonal foods in a way I never would have been before.

Is there somewhere that lists seasonal foods for autumn (including fish and meats)?

My google searches just bring up fad diets and tabloid articles!

Thanks,

TP

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 51,379
    edited September 2018
  • raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 3,176
    Back in the early days of his River Cottage experiment, Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall wrote some books about seasonality. 'The River Cottage Year' has a section with charts of when various fruit, veg, wild foods, game and fish are in season. It also has month by month sections with recipes using a few key seasonal ingredients for that month.

It's not comprehensive but it gives you a starting point
    To search for perfection is all very well, but to look for heaven is to live here in hell
    And if you're really interested in cooking, chef and restaurater Mark Hix's great book, British Seasonal Food is available on Amazon at the moment for £1.31 for a used hardcover edition. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 15,541
    A few of his recipes here too - https://www.bbc.com/food/recipes/search

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
    @Obelixx ; afraid that link doesn't lead anywhere ... 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 12,212
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 
    Freedom’s just another word for nothing left to lose. 
  • Tin potTin pot Posts: 678
    Thanks all, the “lovebritoshfood” link was what I was thinking of.

Im not sure I can make a full monthly menu out of these though :)

Autumn 

Meat: Chicken - Grouse – Ham - Heather-fed Lamb - Pies Pork – Sausages - Venison 

Vegetables: Field Mushrooms – Lettuce – Marrow – Potatoes – Pumpkin – Rocket – Squashes – Sweetcorn - Watercress

Fruit: Apples – Blackberries – Damsons – Elderberries – Pears – Plums - Sloes

Fish: Brill – Dabs - Dover Sole – Flounders – Oysters - Skate

edited September 2018
    Looks perfect to me  :D

I've always eaten mostly food in season ... I grew up in the countryside ... we grew most of our own veg or bought it from local growers, and bought meat and fish from local suppliers (sometimes knowing that the pork came from our own farm) and Pa shot game, and of course we foraged for herbs, fruit and fungi. 

• Tin potTin pot Posts: 678
    What are Dabs anyway?

I went with duck liver patè, pork belly in a red wine jus and white wine tonight.
    Dabs are a small flat fish , like sole and plaice. Delicious  :)