Apple tree

Need some information please I bought a jonagold apple tree , I then bought elstar apple tree for pollination, have I done right. 

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 7,353
    I don't think you have.  All the information you need is here:

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICTPosts: 13,821
    edited September 2018
    Elstar is a tree that flowers at the same time as other apple trees that belong to a group called Pollination group 3. Jonagold belongs to a later group called Pollination group 4. Such trees would just about be able to pollinate each other, given that flowering group times last a couple of weeks and may overlap.

The real problem is that Jonagold is what is called a triploid variety. It means two things. Firstly, triploid trees don’t pollinate other apple trees. They are useless pollinators. So your Elstar is not getting any help there. Secondly triploid apple trees need two other apple trees, rather than the normal one, to make their fruits set. So unless there is another group four (or maybe three) apple tree in the area you will be struggling to get very many apples off either tree.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Jason millyJason milly Posts: 469
    If I bought another elstar and take back the jonagold would that work. 
     No. Every Elstar apple tree is, if you like, a clone of every other Elstar apple tree. They are genetically identical.  

When apples say that they are self fertile, it means that their flowers have male and female sex organs and they can have sex with themselves and produce fruit (offspring) but they don’t make a great job of it. Much better to buy another variety.
    Thanks pansy face for good information I will take the jonagold back and get another variaty. 
    Here is a list of suitable varieties for the Elstar.

https://www.orangepippintrees.co.uk/pollinationchecker.aspx?v=1020

Change of plan took the elstar back as the main one I want is discovery any advice on a good tasting apple that will also pollinate the discovery one.