Forum home Plants

Help! Whats this plant?

We have growing in our boarder this strange green plant. It’s about 5ft tall and the green bits at the top have small spikes on them. Unfortunately in the recent bad weather it has been blown down in the wind and has had to be removed to protect my dog from the spikes.

When it first started growing the leaves looked to be like sunflowers which are growing alongside it.

• One of the weedy Amaranthus aka pigweed, I think.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Thank you. With just the Amaranthus as a start I’ve found it Amaranthus retroflexus.
  • Silver surferSilver surfer Posts: 4,709
    edited September 2018
    Thank you. With just the Amaranthus as a start I’ve found it Amaranthus retroflexus.
    Not easy to say which one..
    Naturally you carried out an inspection to double check that Amaranthus retroflexus is your one...!!!

"Definitive identification requires a closeup examination of the perianth (whorl of "tepals" or petal-like structures surrounding the fruit of the female flower) using a hand lens. In redroot pigweed, the tepals are all longer than the fruit itself; in smooth pigweed, they are all shorter than the fruit and have dark green mid-veins; and in Powell amaranth, tepals are very unequal in length with some longer and some shorter than the fruit"

Above is quoted from link below.....
    https://articles.extension.org/pages/68434/redroot-pigweed-amaranthus-retroflexus-smooth-pigweed-a-hybridus-and-powell-amaranth-a-powellii

Identification of plants can be  very hard.
    Perthshire. SCOTLAND .