Chillies

HI.  I have had tremendous success this year with growing chillies, particularly scotch bonnets and they are ripening by the day.  My query is now that the weather is starting to change and get colder overnight, should I pick all the fruit and bring indoors to ripen or should I cover with fleece at night and leave to ripen whilst the sun shines

• wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 2,898
    Are they outdoor plants or in a greenhouse? Do you plan on growing them as perenials or will you sow new plants next year? If you have a sunny window cill I'd bring them indoors and keep the plants fed and growing until about the end of October then cut them back ready to over-winter. If you have limited space you could just pick the healthiest plants to do that.
  • I don't have a greenhouse so grow them in pots along the back of the house where they get the sun most. The pots are too big to bring in and I've never tried to grow chillies from seed before, I usually buy a couple of small plants at £1.50 each. This year I bought more as the first plants didn't do very well at first but now I have 3 huge Scotch Bonnets plus 1 other chilli. There are masses of fruit which I am freezing, drying and blitzing as well as using fresh.  I just don't want to waste such a bountiful supply particularly as they are so hot this year presumably due to the good weather
  • I've bought my Naga chillies and various other chillies indoors now. I've grown them in pots - they must be much smaller than your pots - I've placed them next to a south facing window. 

The nights are too cold and the high winds weren't doing them any good. I mist them with water a few times a day because they like high humidity. If you can't get yours indoors, I would say keep fleece over them at night for now and if the weather gets really cold you best bet is to harvest the mature fruit and leave the young fruit covered with fleece and see if they survive.

• Thanks, that's what I think I will do. They are ripening by the hour it seems and the green ones I have brought indoors to see what happens have ripened so quickly it seems daft to leave them out. I don't think they will get any bigger so I may as well pick them. I've used a fleece for the last few nights so that the fruit can enjoy the sun we're getting but I'm away for a week now so I'll pick the best and leave the smallest to see if they survive as you say and the fleece will have to stay on all day and night.
  • Liz HuntLiz Hunt Posts: 12

These chillies turned out to be the best ( although my scotch bonnets did really well too) and were still growing on the plant when I finally dug it up in about February this year.  Puts up with all weathers it seems

• seyfadesseyfades Posts: 142
    Can you share any tips, I have tried growing scotch bonnet outside where I live in Kent for a couple of years, and I don't get as much crop as I wish.  Where do you grow yours? Do you start from seed? When do you start your seeds? I will appreciate any tip you can give please
  • Liz HuntLiz Hunt Posts: 12

I live in Kent and bought the chilli plants from Notcutts (about £1.50 each). They are quite slow to get going but with last year's hot weather, they soon went berserk. I had 3 plants about 2-3ft high growing in pots along the wall at the back of my house where they got the sun most of the day. I just staked them and fed regularly with tomato feed once the fruits set and as they got bigger, I started cutting away the foliage to allow the sun to ripen them. The fruits on the scotch bonnets were up to about the size of a golf ball (some bigger) and were great, I've still got some frozen and dried and flaked but they are nicest eaten fresh but so hot!  In fact too hot really so this year I am only growing the small Apache chilli which was the plant that kept going through the winter. So many chillies, again I didn't know what to do with them all. Good luck with yours this year