Forum home Plants

Climbing Roses

I plated two Climbing Roses in a wooden box but there isn't enough place for them. I want to trace plant them should I wait until all the leave have fallen off or now when the weather isn't too cold please help. I love all gardener you have always helped me thank you very much.

• RubytooRubytoo Posts: 1,593
    edited September 2018
    They should be fine to place from the wooden box to the ground now. Make sure they are watered well first, and prepare the holes with some nice compost if you can, like some manure or home made compost, or bought soil improver/compost.
    And do water them in and keep watered if the weather stays dry, like any newly planted plant.

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,011
    Agree with Ruby.  Water well before and after, give them plenty of well-rotted garden compost and some manure (GCs sell this in bags) mixed into their planting hole and surrounding soil and make sure the graft union - knobbly bit where the climber is grafted to its rootstock - is an inch or two below soil level after you've filled the hole and firmed it in.   Some microrhizal fungae sprinkled directly on the roots at planting time will help enormously as will keeping them watered if there is little or no rain this autumn.

Do this as soon as possible and they should be well established for next year's growth and flowering.
    Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw