Forum home Wildlife gardening

Young fox squirrel with persistent rash

harrykane140693harrykane140693 Posts: 1
edited September 2018 in Wildlife gardening
I am interning at a wildlife rehabilitation center this summer. We have been caring for a young fox squirrel and his brother for a couple weeks now. Several days ago he developed a red and bumpy rash in his groin area. He is still eating well and acting normal otherwise, but the rash continues to get worse. We have been applying neosporin, but since it did not seem to be improving today we switched to a diaper rash cream. This morning we found his brother sucking on his penis and thought that could be adding to the problem or leading to urine scalds, so we separated them. We have also been changing the bedding every feeding, trying to keep the area clean, and bathing him daily with baby soap and luke warm water. Has anyone seen something similar? Do you have any recommendations on treatments? Thanks in advance!

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 64,502
    I suggest you seek proper qualified veterinary advice.

This is a gardening forum in the UK. We do not have Fox squirrels . 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 26,165
    Top marks for the most utterly random question to ask in a gardening forum.
    Devon.
  • He'd better not read any of the squirrel threads!
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 5,456
    Well I didn't expect to be examining a squirrel's nuts this morning :#
  • NewBoy2NewBoy2 BristolPosts: 1,531
    I think the clue may be in the posters Name and my recommendation is to hope there is not a knock on his door anytime soon !!

Everyone is just trying to be Happy.
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 6,107

I strongly believe you need veterinary advice as Dove has suggested.
    I have no medical training whatsoever, but maybe a mild antihistamine/antibacterial cream would help.
    There are one or 2 vets who contribute to this site, if they see your post they maybe able to advise.
    Hope the little fella is ok
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 64,502
    edited September 2018
    There's a thought Pete8 ... perhaps @StevetheGardeningVet is around?
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,440
    Maybe a urinary tract infection, making his urine more than usually irritating?  Which he may have passed on to his precociously gay brother. Definitely consult a vet.  Which, we should perhaps explain, is short for a veterinary surgeon, not a military veteran.
  • BijdezeeBijdezee BPosts: 1,313
    Mange or some sort of mite is my guess or a possible flea allergy, but it needs a vets attention for sure and probably a skin scrape test under a microscope. 
  • purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 3,224
    Just hope it's not squirrel pox