Forum home Problem solving

Is this a good time to be planting?

I know this is a good time to move established plants around (which I have) but because temps are starting to drop I was wondering if it ok to still be buying new plants and putting out? thanks

• TopbirdTopbird Mid SuffolkPosts: 7,579
    Best time of the year for shrubs and trees.

You can also plant out hardy perennials but, if you have heavy clay soil, it might be better to leave those until spring. Clay soil can become very cold and a bit waterlogged which can lead to root rot on smaller plants.

If you have free draining soil you should be ok.

Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,991
    If they're big, sturdy, hardy plants they should be fine.
    As T'bird says though - if the ground's cold and heavy, little plants will suffer - even if they're hardy perennials. I've got some small plants which I will plant out,  but they're going in raised beds where the soil's been made suitable. If they were for my borders, I'd leave them as I have clay soil and lots of rain and cold weather to come.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• MeomyeMeomye Posts: 796
    Thanks for replies, I have chalky soil and am thinking about ordering some things online poss 2-3 litre pots, is that still ok?
  • MrsGardenMrsGarden Posts: 3,951
    The weather is so unpredictable, Ive been waiting for rain so the grounds not so dry. Now I've got wet ground but frost's. Can't win. 
    2 - 3 litres should be fine if the plants are filling them well, and the ground's ok  :)
    Never easy MrsG - is it? We've got plenty of wet ground -  I can send you some  ;)

Thanks fairy, is that wet and warm? 😝.  One day it's wet the next dry as a bone. Early frost is driving me crazy, so inconsiderate!  Gonna put the Karl foester in the ground this weekend come what may! 
    Doubt it'll be warm MrsG, but it's plenty wet!   :D

Been lovely today, Fairy - all the Karl's are in place. Just need some of your rain now please, but only over night.