Organic Container Veg

I'm returning to container veg growing which I haven't really done for years, as it's a good way to cheat the slugs. I usually just feed with chicken manure pellets and seaweed extract, but should container veg be getting a more comprehensive liquid feed? Organic tomato feeds seem available, would root veg, spring onions and leaves need something different?

Also, for the veg I'm overwintering, could they do with a liquid feed now, or would it be best to wait til spring? (carrots, spring onins, beetroot, mustard greens).

• BobFlannigonBobFlannigon Posts: 551
    Most feeds contains marginally different balances of exactly the same thing, typically to make you feel like you need to buy ten different products rather than one; a bit like all those different Nurofen products that are all identical.

I personally just buy one general purpose and make do with it, just being careful not to over-feed anything.  I've used Miraclo Gro soluble this year.  It's worked fine, decent crops.

Have you over-wintered carrots before?
  • bookmonsterbookmonster Posts: 268
    Thanks! I haven't, if it doesn't work it's no great loss but the slugs ate my first crop and I had some vacant pots.
  • raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 3,176
    It's better not to feed carrots. It makes them fork.

The key with any winter veg is to make sure they don't get too waterlogged. A few canes and some fleece to keep off the worst of the weather will improve your chances of keeping them going long enough to crop.
    To search for perfection is all very well, but to look for heaven is to live here in hell