cherry tree growth

Hi
Does anyone know what this is on the trunk of my cherry tree?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 51,379
    edited September 2018
    That looks like resin/sap oozing from the trunk of your cherry tree ... that could well indicate bacterial canker.  If it's on a branch it's sometimes possible to prune out the affected branches ... but if it's in the trunk it's bad news and means that your tree may be on the way out, I'm afraid. 
    Sorry  :'(

P.S.   I'm wondering whether the branch that was removed may have been infected by canker, and now it's spread.  
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• sthlndngrowersthlndngrower Posts: 126
    Oh no!!! It was the trunk and it's a young tree!  :'(
    I may be wrong ... others may have other suggestions ...  don't panic yet!!! 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

thank you!
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 7,359
    I agree with Dove, unfortunately for your tree.  That side branch removal looks like the bark got torn and may well be the entry point.   All you can really do anyway is wait and see but cherries are notorious for producing resin when any kind of damage or infection occurs although many 'grow out of the habit' eventually.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
    Oh dear!  Sometimes I really  don't like being right  :'(

I sent the pictures to Brogdale... it could be "gumosis" which although unsightly, is harmless to the tree. The tree does look otherwise healthy so I am keeping fingers crossed that's all it is! Especially after a two year wait my son finally helped me put in posts so i can fan train the cherry trees!
    Fingers crossed here as well  :)