Forum home Plants

Christmas Planter

Morning, i would like to plant a Christmas planter for outdoors, can you recommend plants that are at there best around this time & when should I plant? 

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,817
    When you say Christmas, do you mean plants that will be flowering or have berries etc, at Christmas, or just for over winter generally? Also - how big is your pot?
    Things like Hellebores will be looking good - some flower at that time. They have distinctive foliage so you could team them with an evergreen grass - possibly a variegated one - for a contrast. Many of the Carexes are ideal. You can also plant things which wouldn't be suitable long term - like Cornus for example - which have coloured stems and provide vertical height, but you couldn't leave them permanantly in the container as they get too big. You can add winter flowering pansies for extra colour, and bulbs for late winter/early spring to continue the look.
    Someone recently talked about a similar planter [it was shown on one of the links here I think] They were copying it and asked for some advice. I only know about it because I posted on it.  I'll see if I can find it.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
    Here it is Jon - is this the kind of thing you mean?  :)
    https://forum.gardenersworld.com/discussion/comment/1973857#Comment_1973857

• Fairygirl said:
    When you say Christmas, do you mean plants that will be flowering or have berries etc, at Christmas, or just for over winter generally? Also - how big is your pot?
    Things like Hellebores will be looking good - some flower at that time. They have distinctive foliage so you could team them with an evergreen grass - possibly a variegated one - for a contrast. Many of the Carexes are ideal. You can also plant things which wouldn't be suitable long term - like Cornus for example - which have coloured stems and provide vertical height, but you couldn't leave them permanantly in the container as they get too big. You can add winter flowering pansies for extra colour, and bulbs for late winter/early spring to continue the look.
    Someone recently talked about a similar planter [it was shown on one of the links here I think] They were copying it and asked for some advice. I only know about it because I posted on it.  I'll see if I can find it.  :)
    Hi Fairygirl, thanks for your response. I’m an absolutely novice, so i appreciate ideas. The garden looks so bland during the winter that I just want to add a little interest, I’ll google your links thanks 😊. The final link you sent looks great, I’m going to go out to get those plants today!

Hope you get on ok Jon. It's always good to have something nice during those long winter months.  :)
    You can add to your 'main' pot by doing some others with various bulbs, and perhaps one or two with an evergreen or a fern or something to add contrast and variety. Pots are very useful as you can swap them around at different times of year to have a nice focal point. Grouping a whole lot together is very effective, especially if you keep a theme with the type of pot, or the general colour scheme.
    There are plenty of plants which are happy in pots long term too, which would give a basic structure to your display, so don't be frightened to come back and ask for other ideasif you need them  :)