Forum home Tools and techniques

We don't need plastic pots - they need to be banned!

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 15,874
    Glass shampoo bottles are a definite no no. Slippy soapy fingers and glass bottles are not a good match. The main problems are not in this country.  There are some people who chuck bottles etc out of car windows and litter, but the majority of people are  responsible and dispose of rubbish in bins. In Indonesia, they seem to think the sea swallows it all, instead it just swills around in the oceans.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 19,951
    90% of the rubbish in the sea comes from 10 main rivers in the East.   I know I said this before and Hostafan said they just don’t have any other way of disposing of it but to chuck it in the rivers, surely this should become a world thing and those countries helped to sort it out. 
    At least China has stopped taking ours, but we are just a small country compared to some. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• SkandiSkandi Northern DenmarkPosts: 1,454
    edited September 2018
    Do NOT believe that the UK doesn't export rubbish, it isn't publicised but you do. in fact some of your rubbish is keeping my friends in town warm. Denmark BUYS British rubbish to burn for heating/electricity. It's probably not the only country to do so.

As to plastic pots. Paper would not work pots need to last many years, clay has to be extracted somewhere and is very heavy and fragile. Those "wax" papers people are talking about are very hard to recycle as they are mixed materials.
    If you want to get rid of plastic in the garden then we go back to only large houses (read rich) being able to do many things, I for one cannot afford glass cloches or 350 terracotta pots (about the number I have in plastic right now) I certainly can't afford a glass greenhouse the size of my plastic tunnels (although I would like one)
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 31,696
    The plastic bottles used for milk are made on site .How much extra are we all prepared to have glass bottles shipped to the milk processing plant and the extra cost of all that (considerable ) weight being transported before we can even buy it? Folk don't even seem to want to pay farmers a living wage for the milk they produce now.
    There's no point blaming the supermarkets, / garden centres. There are already alternatives out there, all you have to do is to dig deeper into your pockets and pay more for them.
    Devon.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,450
    To go back to the title of this thread, I'm afraid that unless there's  A : an alternative which functions at least as well as plastic [ light, can be watered endlessly, store/travel easily etc], and B : isn't more expensive, then we're largely stuck with what there is. 
    Getting a recyclable product needs investment and desire to change from various factions.
    Once the manufacturers, councils and recycling plants are 'singing from the same hymn book' then there might be change.
    I'm like Lyn - I recycle and reuse as much as I can, but you often feel it's a losing battle. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 31,696
    I think the nub of the problem is , we all want something done about it, but most expect " someone else " ( councils , manufacturers, retailers, government etc etc ) to pay for it.
    Very few are saying " I'm happy to pay towards doing something about it"
    Devon.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 27,630
    The plastic pots mentioned are made from recycled plastic.  It is possible to organise collection systems so they can be recycled again and again - some councils are enlightened in this and others still in the stone age.

Everything is fixable if people think about solutions, rather than problems.  We can each do our bit to reduce consumption of plastic and other harmful materials.  We must each take some personal responsibility for this and not always expect someone else to do/manage/organise/legislate for us.   
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 7,562
    We shouldn't need to pay though in most cases. A lot of the time it's cheaper to buy products with extra plastic. Why are tin cans of food in 4 packs cheaper when wrapped in plastic than just buying 4 unwrapped single cans? A lot of multi pack deals are the same. The supermarkets and manufactuers are forcing that extra plastic onto people.

I wonder if plastic pots are the best solution for some plants. Maybe there's a more efficient way to grow and sell plants. The garden centre could grow plants in pots but sell them to you by removing the pot and wrapping the root ball in paper. You're only going to repot it as soon as you get home anyway. It won't work for everything but a similar scheme has potential to work it just needs a change of mindset from the convenience we're used to.

A great library has something in it to offend everybody.
  • We shouldn't need to pay though in most cases. A lot of the time it's cheaper to buy products with extra plastic. Why are tin cans of food in 4 packs cheaper when wrapped in plastic than just buying 4 unwrapped single cans? A lot of multi pack deals are the same. The supermarkets and manufactuers are forcing that extra plastic onto people.

I wonder if plastic pots are the best solution for some plants. Maybe there's a more efficient way to grow and sell plants. The garden centre could grow plants in pots but sell them to you by removing the pot and wrapping the root ball in paper. You're only going to repot it as soon as you get home anyway. It won't work for everything but a similar scheme has potential to work it just needs a change of mindset from the convenience we're used to.

Coir pots are ideal, you can already buy plants in these, all it takes is a producer to start using them. They go straight into the ground, and rot and feed. What could be better! :) 
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 27,630
    Coir pots won't stand up to the industrial processing of plants.  Have you never seen those huge machines that prick out, pot on and stack pots for growing on and then transporting?   Even small nurseries that do it by hand need something more sturdy.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw