Forum home Tools and techniques

We don't need plastic pots - they need to be banned!

ZeroZero1ZeroZero1 Posts: 564
edited September 2018 in Tools and techniques
Like many of you, I am appalled by or profligate used of plastics and it's effect on the biosphere. 
I don't think we need plastic pots at all. All we need are the bio recyclable kind of pots. If necessary these could be covered with a THIN layer of cellophane. Yes, it would mean the industry needs retooling, but  this is necessary to save the environment. 
The same goes for supermarkets. It's not just plastic bags, or coffee cups. I think these are highlighted to make the consumer feel responsible. It's the plastics involved in packaging everywhere. So much of it is unnecessary.
Supermarkets could do MUCH more. Every product on every shelf needs to only use the minimal amount of plastic necessary. We need to be offered minimal plastic alternatives - glass bottles for example. not just for wine and water, but also for shampoos and many other products. 
Local councils vary widely in how they recycle, a few don't at all. We need a compulsory national system

Why are we not being offered alternatives, both in the supermarket and in the garden centre? Someone needs to break the mould!

Z

• Hello zero zero I agree with you on supermarkets not pulling there weight there could be more paper used replacesing plastic, also coffee cups can be resolved as last year there was a option for a newer cup but nobody took it up  (don't know if company's didn't want to pay). Now the government have found a new milking cow for there funds.

I don't agree with you on banning plastic plant pots as I use them and get years of use out of them, and there is nothing to replace them that will work at the moment  
  • JoeXJoeX Posts: 1,690
    Grow your own from seed
  • Before the advent of plastic cups we had paper cups waxed coated. The same could be used for plant pots. We also have coir pots, that 100% degrade in the soil. The clay pots are also much friendlier
    We need to ban ALL unecessary plastics. This is very important for our children
  • I do agree plastic is to go, but for example you are growing chillies or tomatoes or melons what would you grow them in, if you have planters clay pots are heavy and breakable and get frost damaged. 
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 6,739
    ZeroZero1 said:
    We need to ban ALL unecessary plastics. This is very important for our children
    Ironically one of the hardest times to avoid unecessary plastic is when you have children. The kiddy paraphernalia market is flooded with the stuff. You can avoid some of it but it's expensive at a time when you're spending a lot of money anyway and it takes more of your time to prep your own baby food and wash nappies when you have less free time to spend on stuff like that.
    A great library has something in it to offend everybody.
  • My daughter in law manages to avoid this, but you are right we do need to be conscientious. Frankly I think children are better off without all the plastic tat, it teaches disposable values.
    Even if we cut all of our plastic usage by 50% this only reduces the damage to the environment by half, which only doubles the time for plastic armageddon for wildlife. 
    Paper plant pots, dipped in wax from plant or animal sources, much better alternative. 
    Somene needs to produce these. 
  • I do agree plastic is to go, but for example you are growing chillies or tomatoes or melons what would you grow them in, if you have planters clay pots are heavy and breakable and get frost damaged. 
    Durable cardboard pots, dipped in wax. We already use this technology for other packaging. They may not last as long as plastic pots, but this is the point. we could also use square wooden pots.
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 4,867
    It might be a good start to ban new plastic (or tax it heavily - most businesses are driven by the bottom line), but allow reuse and recycling of plastic that already exists - otherwise it would end up incinerated or in landfill anyway.

• We have a milkman in the village, calls here 4 times a week, we wash the bottles and put them by the front gate, what is wrong with that system ?  Most people carry home huge plastic bottles of milk, throw them in the wheelie bin, a huge lorry with 3 men collects them, takes them to a crusher, costs the council, sorry no, the council tax payer, a fortune.
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 4,867
    No milkman here :/