Good vegetables to sow in September?

i’ve managed to create some space in the border and I’m wanting to try and sow a new crop. Does anyone have any suggestions for a crop I could quickly harvest in Autumn or Winter? Im quite new to veg gardening, thanks! 

• raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 3,437
    winter salads like endive, spinach, winter lettuces, radishes and/or small carrots - 'nantes' type. These will grow quite fast and you'll get a small crop if we don't get an early frost.

Or you could sow some peas and broad beans and plant some garlic, all of which will grow through the winter and be ready to harvest next spring/summer
    My heart has joined the thousand, for my friend stopped running today
  • winter salads like endive, spinach, winter lettuces, radishes and/or small carrots - 'nantes' type. These will grow quite fast and you'll get a small crop if we don't get an early frost.

Or you could sow some peas and broad beans and plant some garlic, all of which will grow through the winter and be ready to harvest next spring/summer
    Thanks for the advice! I was thinking about trying radishes as they seem quite quick to grow- I live in Kent so we shouldn’t be expecting frost till about November. Do you reckon I could get a harvest by then?  :) :)
  • raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 3,437
    Nantes carrots take about 60 days, so you need the ground to be staying above about 10 degrees for the next 2 months. Lettuce depends on the varieties - you'll get 'cut and come again' leaves although you may not get a heart forming. Little gem types are very quick, so you'd be unlucky not to get those to harvestable size. Radish are usually croppable after a month. Spinach takes about 6 weeks.
    A couple of cloche tunnels and some fleece will improve your chances with all of these - especially the lettuce and especially if we get very heavy rain, as you can keep the worst of it off the seedlings and avoid them getting broken off.

Have a robust slug protection strategy ready to go and if you're minded to slug pellets or slug pubs, bear in mind that heavy rain diminishes the effectiveness of both and greatly helps the slugs. A torch and a bucket may be the best option this late in the year.
    My heart has joined the thousand, for my friend stopped running today