Forum home The potting shed

Preaching to the converted!

123457»

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,520
    The most interesting thing about this thread is that the OP hasn't reappeared after their 2nd post.... ;)
    The pots  [and every other container] have to be made of something that can easily be recycled, or recycling facilities have to be able to recycle the existing ones. Unless the two factions get their heads together and work it out to a sensible conclusion, 'we're all doomed Captain'....
    Otherwise, we - the great unwashed - can only do so much.  
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• B3B3 Posts: 15,969
    Why can't each type of plastic packaging have one compulsory colour like they do for underground piping?

In London. Keen but lazy.
  • raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 4,065
    B3 said:
    Why can't each type of plastic packaging have one compulsory colour like they do for underground piping?

Huh. OBVIOUSLY they can't do that. Far too simple.

Sheesh 
    “It's not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing it.” ― Terry Pratchett
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 5,631
    It's also worth noting that even if something is recycled it doesn't mean we can be guilt free about using it. Some plastics can only be recycled one or 2 times before they are only fit for landfill. The priorities should always be to reduce and reuse before recycling.
  • josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,532
    One of the worst industries for single use plastic is health care.  So much of what it uses has to be sterile, and individually enclosed in impermeable packaging.  Then  after use, it has to be incinerated. Local hygiene is achieved to the detriment of global hygiene. Before plastic, most of these items were made of glass, or steel, or fabric, and were washed, sterilised and used many times.  But for that, you have to employ people on UK pay and conditions.  Much cheaper to get the plastic version produced in the developing countries, by people who will work long hours, for pisspoor wages, in unhealthy conditions.  
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 7,338
    Like Dove, a couple of our bigger garden centres (Wyevale), introduced a recycling scheme and found themselves overwhelmed by the amount of pots etc received, so they stopped doing it. I contacted the HTA to find a local centre that was taking part in the scheme that started at the beginning of the year, as mentioned in the interview that Arit did. They told me that the take up had been very poor, and couldn't help me. I finally managed to find a small independent garden centre that takes pots and bedding packs etc. What a palaver.