Forum home The potting shed

Preaching to the converted!

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 66,330
    Output local GC used to take back pots and module trays etc ... there was a bay in the car park where you could leave them and if you needed pots you could help yourself. Unfortunately they stopped doing it a while back as they said the recyclers could no longer take them  :(
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Why not just have separate bins for black plastic? The human eye has no problem seeing it !
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 5,631
    KT53 said:
     A bit late now but I should have reported the dustment for flytipping or littering.
    I did that after they smashed a glass bottle on the pavement in front of my house and didn't clear it up. I was told they have to ask for a 'cleansing crew' to come out to deal with any situation like that as the bin lorries don't carry the equipment to clean up glass. I asked if a crew had been ordered and if they'd also clean up the blood from lacerated dog paws as well but never had a reply.

Like carrier bags in England the pot situation needs action from the people to get a faster result than waiting for The Man to catch up on things. There must be ways to reuse the pots we, have like giving them away on freecycle, as it seems crazy to recycle them into more pots.

• tessagardenbarmytessagardenbarmy York,North YorkshirePosts: 346
    Got my Yorkshire  Wildlife Magazine  this morning  in a biodegradable  starch wrapper which looked just like plastic  one. Gardeners World Magazine  please  take note!
  • tessagardenbarmytessagardenbarmy York,North YorkshirePosts: 346
    Sorry another  post. Think we need  to check if our councils actually do recycle the stuff or if it's shipped abroad allegedly  to be processed but often just dumped! We shouldn't  be passing our waste onto other countries  to deal with. 
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,520
    Why not just have separate bins for black plastic? The human eye has no problem seeing it !
    That would be too simple B'cupdays  ;)
    Our council caught up a bit a few years ago, and gave us bins for plastics and paper instead of the stupid bags we had, which you had to hunt for on a windy day. They take more 'stuff' in general than they used to - the cardboard for instance. We had the same rules as previously mentioned - nothing thicker than a cereal packet, which wasn't helpful when you consider the amount of items people get delivered now, wrapped in layers of bubble wrap and corrugated card. I can recycle bigger boxes at work, but some boxes are too small for that. 
    The big issue is that many homes can't accomodate all the bigger bins.   :/
    Like MrsG has mentioned, I noticed when taking some items of clothing to my local Sainsbury, where they have recycling bins, that far too many people had just dumped their bags of rubbish. Disgusting cretins. It just shows that no matter what you do, there'll always be ar**holes who abuse the system. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 4,065
    From the piece on GW - which I thought was pretty good - it appears that the problem is chiefly in the nurseries and the manufacturers of the pots, at the point where the processes are industrialised and therefore more inflexible. If the government actually do what Michael Gove proposed and tax the manufacturers at a sufficient rate to pay for dealing properly with the plastic (as has been suggested for all sorts of plastic packaging), it levels the playing field for those attempting to innovate and increases the incentive for the adoption of new ideas by those currently blithely cranking out the same stuff they always have because it's cheap and they know how to do it well. Make it more expensive and they will rethink.
    “It's not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing it.” ― Terry Pratchett
  • stewyfizzstewyfizz West BromwichPosts: 161
    So the machine doesnt see black plastic meaning we cant recycle it? Poppycock. Employ a human or two to spot the black plastic so it can be seperated. Or is that too difficult? Seems to me that people are quick to find excuses rather than solutions.
    Gardening. The cause of, and solution to, all of my problems.
  • raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 4,065
    stewyfizz said:
    So the machine doesnt see black plastic meaning we cant recycle it? Poppycock. Employ a human or two to spot the black plastic so it can be seperated. Or is that too difficult? Seems to me that people are quick to find excuses rather than solutions.
    If I understand it (and that's quite a big 'if'), it's not that the machines can't spot the black ones, it's that they can't identify what sort of plastic they contain and therefore can't allocate them to the right recycling process. A human couldn't do that by eye, either
    “It's not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing it.” ― Terry Pratchett