Forum home The potting shed

Preaching to the converted!

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 16,841
    The the little shop along the road to us sells everything by the each, if you want 2 screws and 2 rawl plugs that’s what he sells you, it goes in the pocket, no bags, maybe people find it easier to go to b n q and buy these things in plastic bags.

On another note,  I expect most people on here had signed the petition for Walkers crispy to use recyclable / bio degradable bags, well, enough people signed for it to come to parliaments attention and Walkers have agreed to use those bags by 2025, that’s ridiculous, they are stalling for time in the hopes we will forget, so now we are being urged to pick all the Walkers bags up we can find and post them back to Walkers company, there is a free post number on the back of the bag so you only need an envelope. Good protest? 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 3,062
    If they can make fancy coloured pots for marketing purposes then surely they can find something that's recyclable for general use.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,520
    Jenny - there was a piece on the news yesterday morning about many councils only taking plastic bottles. It varies so enormously round the country - it's ridiculous.
    I think juice cartons go in with paper if you mean the tetra pak kind for fruit juice? They certainly do here. It's one of those ones that people get confused about though. I used to put them in with plastic until I saw a programme about it a few years ago. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

Tetrapaks - they go in our blue bin with paper, cardboard, tins, cans and plastic bottles. Glass bottles and jars go in the green box. Then there's the green bin for garden waste (but not between November and March) and the black bin for everything else.
    I think part of the problem is that every council has different rules.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 23,563
    Good grief!  We've had tetra pack recycling for 20 years in Belgium.  The local council gave everyone free, transparent blue bags for juice, milk and soup cartons, plastic bottles and tins and didn't charge for collecting them.  They put a bar code on our wheelie bins and weighed them and charged accordingly.  That concentrated minds and led to a recycling mentality.

We get fancy coloured pots here and some are quite fetching.   I don't see that they need to be black but mostly it seems that UK local councils need to get with the 21st century and think about making it to the 22nd!
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Obelixx said:
     mostly it seems that UK local councils need to get with the 21st century and think about making it to the 22nd!
    Absolutely Obelixx!
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 4,714
    It's not just on plastics where there is a lack of consistency.  Until recently our local council would only take thin cardboard such as used in cereal packets.  They wouldn't accept anything thicker.  In fact on one occasion I had heavy cardboard dumped on the pavement after I'd put it in the recycling bin.  A bit late now but I should have reported the dustment for flytipping or littering.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,532
    Obelixx said:
    They put a bar code on our wheelie bins and weighed them and charged accordingly.  That concentrated minds and led to a recycling mentality.

Doesn't that lead to people putting their rubbish in someone else's bin?
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 26,638
    I watched it last night and rather enjoyed the piece. 
    Folk hand me back their carrier bags when I deliver for Waitrose, maybe folk should just start taking their plant pots back to garden centres?
    Devon.