Forum home The potting shed

Preaching to the converted!

• B3B3 Posts: 15,940
     :o 
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 23,499
    They did mention something about carbon dyes for plant pots.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 8,846
    Black plastic is dyed with carbon black dye.
    Walk out to winter, swear I'll be there.
    Chill will wake you, high and dry
    You'll wonder why.
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 5,629

In England we get charged for single use plastic carrier bags if the retailer has over 250  employees ... plans are in hand to increase this from 5p to `10p and for it to apply to all retailers, even small ones

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-45353073
    Thank for the link.

"A consultation will be launched later this year, the government said.

Currently, it is estimated that more than three billion bags are supplied by small and medium companies every year.

In Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, smaller retailers already charge a minimum of 5p for plastic bags."

7 years behind all other parts of the UK and England are still at the thinking about launching a consultation stage? Make the 5p charge universal, collect the money,  invest it in modern recycling facilities and stop hoping you can distract the public with Brexit and Boris Johnson's embarassing antics.
  • B3B3 Posts: 15,940
    So why don't they dye them a different colour, or is that another dumb question?

In London. Keen but lazy.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 66,284
    edited September 2018
    B3 said:
    So why don't they dye them a different colour, or is that another dumb question?

That's one of the issues the programme tackled.  Up until now the horticultural industry have maintained that black is the only colour that provides the plant roots with the dark conditions that they need.  

A new type of pot, a different colour but inpenetrable by light, is being trialled.  MD has some which he is trying out in what he explained is a very unscientific trial.  
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 5,629
    B3 said:

I don't know about pots but meat packaging is black because it makes the food look better apparently. I keep looking but I still haven't noticed the colour changing on most supermarket shelves. I have noticed though that as plastic bag use declines there seems to be more unavoidable plastic on other products. It's almost like the plastics industry have to find an output for their products so are slipping it into other places.
  • I don't think GW is as good as it used to be, the content is a bit wishy washy to me, but have to say the plastic pot item was actually the most interesting and important bit of the whole program. We do need to be a lot more environmentally aware.
    As to pot washing, I do clean out my pots and greenhouse every year, good hygiene is vital when growing edibles in my opinion. When we grow in containers, we are stretching natures ability a bit and we can create unnatural environments when we garden intensively, so I adopt a clean option when starting my plants off, not obsessive, just thoughtful about the way I grow. I am organic, so I don't use chemicals to upset the balance and create resistant plants. 
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,520
    W.edges - I used to buy a brand of mince which comes in black plastic packaging, as it was a better quality. I stopped buying it once I found out about the black plastic. 
    Ludicrous.
    Why do they need to dye it anyway? Would it really matter for plant pots? Are gardeners so dumb they wouldn't buy a plant if the pot was multicoloured and random?
    You may be right about them slipping it into every conceivable place. I loathe the way every tiny thing comes in a plastic bag. When you buy a gate bolt for example, the bolt is in a bag. The screws are in another bag, then both of those are in yet another bag. Items which migth need rawlplugs are even worse - another bag for them  :#

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 3,052
    Obelixx said:
    Bit low tech in Yorkshire then?
    I think it's just Doncaster council. On the plus side, from earlier this year they take juice-type cartons.