Forum home The potting shed

Preaching to the converted!

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 26,439
    edited September 2018
    See earlier posts.  People aren't communicating so don't know what can or could be done in all sorts of spheres of human life including environmental preservation.   Some are still so ill-informed they don't even think all this is important or manageable.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 40,924
    Hostafan1 said:
    Another problem is that some councils recycle some plastics which other councils do not.(yogurt pot type plastic for example )
    A lack of "joined up thinking" which is where central government could play a part.
    Couldn't agree more Hosta. Can it really be that hard for them to get some kind of consistency?
    I appreciate that not every council/area has access to huge recycling facilities, but why can't they talk to each other? Is that too complicated a process for them.... :/
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 4,657
    Our council only takes plastic for recycling if it's bottle-shaped :(.  No yogurt pots, fruit punnets, bags, cling film etc and definitely no plant pots.
    Bit low tech in Yorkshire then?
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 72,930
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 6,639
    A lot of the problem is the English government's stubborn refusal to get with the times and invest in raising their recycling rates. Wales is well ahead of their target rates and has one of the best recycling rates in the world. England are using this to their advantage by quoting 'UK' rates as a whole most of the time to hide their poor figures. I think I'm right that England still don't have a universal charge for single use carrier bags 7 years after it was brought in here. :/  My borough is still one of the worst in Wales for recycling but we're still better than England and have access to better facilities which are improving all the time.
    Unlike the brain, the stomach warns you when it's empty.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 72,930
    edited September 2018

In England we get charged for single use plastic carrier bags if the retailer has over 250  employees ... plans are in hand to increase this from 5p to `10p and for it to apply to all retailers, even small ones

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-45353073
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

You can't get single use carrier bags here unless you're buying fish or meat at the market and then they wrap it in one.  All other shops have to sell a re-usable or long life bag - two weights and 2 prices.  Loads of fun with designs.  I get Star Wars and Avengers and so on for Possum, different ones for me.   Haven't had free carrier bags in Belgium for years now.  Never understood why the UK still does it.
  • B3B3 Posts: 19,092
    Dumb question:
    How does plastic get to be black? Do they dye it?
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 4,814
    I think they put soot in it. I'm not even joking
    “There is no military solution
    Doesn't always end up as something worse”