Forum home The potting shed

Preaching to the converted!

I wish the BBC would stop treating us like idiots and tonight GW spent ages telling us about plastic pots and I am sure most of us wash them and reuse them for our own cuttings and seedlings. Please give us credit for common sense and do some proper gardening like ways to save money and make things like Geoff Hamilton used in the old days! I am sure Adam Frost could do this and we would enjoy this innovation to current day GW!

• B3B3 Posts: 15,485
    I reuse pots, but I never wash them. I tap them vigorously to dislodge critters, unless they're woodlice. Then I ignore them
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • I have a lot of pots that I keep in a plastic storage cupboard outside so was them to make sure no fungus or nasties!
  • Surely the first teaspoon of soil is going to be full of various fungus spores bacteria and good knows what else. I can't see the point of cleaning everything, unless one has a specific disease the previous season? 
  • josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,532
    I agree.  If we get obsessed about garden hygiene, maybe our plants will follow us down the road of allergies and auto-immune diseases..
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 26,195
    I've never washed a plant pot in my life. I have a batch of 9cm plant pots which I've had since a massive planting project in 2000 and use them every year.
    Devon.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 65,432
    The programme wasn’t about washing plastic pots ...  it was about how gardeners can encourage the horticultural industry to use less un recyclable black plastic which cannot be economically and successfully recycled. 

Its a shame that the OP jumped to an inaccurate assumption about what was being addressed in the programme ... I saw that this thread was actually posted before the programme had shown us the new developments and positive steps that are being taken. 

While we gardeners may may reuse the few plastic pots and trays we buy our plants in each year, the figures for the amount of un recyclable black plastic used by the plant producers were horrifying and if gardeners can encourage the development and use of other products then I for one will do what I can to encourage this.

I’m pretty sure that Geoff Hamilton would say the same. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 26,195
    I've taped it as I didn't want my Friday night ruined by Michael Gove. I'll FF his contribution.
    Devon.
  • B3B3 Posts: 15,485
    What did they plant him in?
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,358
    I noticed the thread was started half way through the programme, although I wasn't watching, and thought it was slightly odd for a first post by someone. 
    I think if you have an issue with the programme content, cabaret, you need to contact the makers.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 65,432
    Hostafan1 said:
    I've taped it as I didn't want my Friday night ruined by Michael Gove. I'll FF his contribution.
    Blink and you'll miss it  :D
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh