Forum home The potting shed

Ghastly American imports

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 66,288
    Shame ... I do love a Chinese takeaway from time to time  ;)
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,532
    Well, at least perverse house numbering and street naming isn't something we can blame on the Yanks!  I do hope we never follow their example and give our roads numbers instead of names.

One good thing about D.Trump is that those of us old enough to remember president Reagan can recycle all the old jokes.  Eg .Have you heard about the fire in the White House library?  Both his books were destroyed. What really upset him was that he hadn't finished colouring them.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 66,288
    I think the depressing thing now is that while that joke was a bit tongue in cheek the first time round, nowadays we fear it's probably true ........... and that's scary  :'(
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 16,840
    josusa47 said:
    Well, at least perverse house numbering and street naming isn't something we can blame on the Yanks!  I do hope we never follow their example and give our roads numbers instead of names.

I’d never remember where I lived😀
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 16,840
    We had a problem with our post code, there are two bungalows with the same name and the other one insisted that her postcode was so and so, which was ours.  I phoned the council, they said the other one shouldn’t be using that code, I said you try telling her, she’s a witch, the council said they’d get one just for us, it’s all filtered through to all satnavs now and everyone finds us, right to the door. 
    Took some sorting out though. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 26,610
    Some of the villages to which I deliver only have one post code for the whole village and not a house number between them.
    Devon.
    Ban pre-shredded cheese!  Make America grate again!
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 23,513
    Maybe we should accentuate the positive for a while.  Lots of lovely plants have come to our gardens from the USA tho I can do without "prairie" planting myself.  Thinking of trees, shrubs, perennials, bulbs........   Yum!
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Mary370Mary370 Limerick, Ireland Posts: 1,860
    I liked the prairie planting on GW last week