Forum home The potting shed

Ghastly American imports

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 25,805
    Ours runs 1,3, 5, 11.   7 and 9 are the farm tucked away behind us with an access road.  The other side has a number 6 but the rest is fields.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 70,495
    edited September 2018
     B)  Did you eat it? 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 18,037
     B)  Did you eat it? 

What! Half a ton of sand😀😀
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

Lyn said:
     B)  Did you eat it? 

Nooooooooo!   JennyJ's takeaway lol
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,532
    While travelling in Yugoslavia, as it was then, I found a suburban road where the house numbers appeared to be completely random.  On inquiry, we were told they were self-build plots, and each house, when completed, was given the next number.
    We have our house number by our front door, easily visible from the road ... but because there are only houses on one side of this road, some delivery personnel (and new posties) get confused ... next door is No 1 and we are No 2 ... but we often get deliveries for No 3 and when challenged they explain that they assume that a row of houses beginning with No 1 must only have odd numbers ......... they're in too much of a hurry to use their eyes  :/

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 28,603
    We have our house number by our front door, easily visible from the road ... but because there are only houses on one side of this road, some delivery personnel (and new posties) get confused ... next door is No 1 and we are No 2 ... but we often get deliveries for No 3 and when challenged they explain that they assume that a row of houses beginning with No 1 must only have odd numbers ......... they're in too much of a hurry to use their eyes  :/
    Upon entering a road, I immediately establish if they're running 1,3,5 , or 1, 2 ,3.
    Devon.
  • BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 2,775
    What3words is designed to limit the imprecision of using postcodes or ‘opposite the phone box’ to give precise locations. The whole country - indeed the world - has been divided into 3m x 3m squares and each square is identified by three words chosen by the computer programme. Nelson’s Column, for example, is ‘mile crazy shade’ but move a few paces across Trafalgar Square to the fourth plinth and the identifier is ‘when fired meals’ The concept could take off
  • Valley GardenerValley Gardener Posts: 2,012
    edited September 2018
    Although it's the same road,the top half has one name, and as you go down a very steep hill the name changes to our street. We have had endless post and parcels go to the other 27,a guy struggled down with my preformed wildlife pond on his head and shoulders,delivered to his house,but same number,and worst of all,we were expecting a roofing guy and his team to install Air tiles in our roof,he didn't show up,so we phoned to find out what had happened,and he was insistent that he had turned up..........he did,but at the other 27! No one was in up there,so he went ahead and did their roof costing him £300!  Poor fellow was mortified.

I've since written to our council to find out if anything can be done,i.e. a much clearer road sign,but so far no response. 
    The whole truth is an instrument that can only be played by an expert.
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 4,185

Lyn said:
     B)  Did you eat it? 

Nooooooooo!   JennyJ's takeaway lol
    I must have looked blank because he said "I've got the wrong house haven't I?" as if it's something that happens often, and cleared off back to his vehicle.