Forum home The potting shed

Ghastly American imports

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 28,603
    I'd love it if we imported one very , very thing they do in usa. 
    Every house, ( even the whitehouse (1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington, DC 20500, USA)  ) has to have a number , prominently displayed and a road name.
    For those of us who drive around the country looking for houses with no signs, faded signs, broken signs, illegible signs it'd be a huge bonus.
    Devon.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 25,805
    Funnily enough Hosta, it was a thing in Belgium too.  Every house has a wee blue official plaque, quite small, with the house number on so that emergency services can find you.  

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
    Obelixx said:
    Funnily enough Hosta, it was a thing in Belgium too.  Every house has a wee blue official plaque, quite small, with the house number on so that emergency services can find you.  

and delivery drivers.
    Devon.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 25,805
    No SM deliveries yet but yes, UPS/DHL and so on need all the help they can get.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 2,775
    If you’ve not heard of it, google ‘What three words’. It could make life so much easier for delivery drivers and emergency vehicles. In countries without a good postcode system I believe the concept has been warmly welcomed.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 18,037
    Problem here is that one postcode sometimes covers the whole road, my son’s a driver and he said the times the house he’s looking for is called ‘Green Gates’ no green gate in the road, he knocks on a door asking for the place, ‘Oh yes! We’ve painted it red now’ 👹🤬
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

Lyn said:
    Problem here is that one postcode sometimes covers the whole road, my son’s a driver and he said the times the house he’s looking for is called ‘Green Gates’ no green gate in the road, he knocks on a door asking for the place, ‘Oh yes! We’ve painted it red now’ 👹🤬
    I delivered to a house with " opposite the phone box" on the instructions. After driving up and down I saw someone waving at me. 
    " we're here"
    " I was looking for the phone box" 
    " they took it away 6 months ago" 
    6 months after that she still had " opposite the phone box" as directions to her house.
    Make everyone display a number , PROMINENTLY .
    I've delivered to houses/farms at the end of a half mile drive then they have the house name on the building, but not at the end of the drive.
    Devon.
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 4,185
    We have the house number on a plaque next to the front door (not tiny, about 6" wide by 4" deep) and we still get other people's deliveries.  Someone tried to bring us a takeaway on Saturday evening.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    The road where I lived in Hampshire ran 1,3,5,7, 9,9a,11,11a,13,13a,15,17,19.
    Devon.