Forum home The potting shed

Ghastly American imports

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 8,849
    Surely it is not the fault of the Americans that we copy so much of their culture.
    My great worry at the moment is that with BREXIT and Trump, we could soon be friendless, a tiny insignificant island, sadly I think that is what some people want.
    Walk out to winter, swear I'll be there.
    Chill will wake you, high and dry
    You'll wonder why.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 26,610
    It's not "Americans", it's the adoption of many of their "customs" which irks. The overwhelming majority of Americans I've met have been lovely, but we don't have to copy them. Unfortunately  , as a nation, we often do.
    Nobody has mentioned the paranoia of litigation, which I fear is another trans Atlantic phenomenon. Ditto , picking  up pizza to eat it.
    Devon.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 66,288
    edited September 2018
    I pick up pizza to eat it ... as I was shown to do in Italy by Tuscans ... it’s the Italian equivalent of a Cornish pasty or a sandwich ... something you can pick up and eat on the go or at least without the formality of a table setting. 

No one except Hyacinth Bouquet would use a knife and fork for a sandwich  :)

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

I use a knife and fork for a Cornish Pasty too. Am I weird?
    Devon.
  • Hear hear Dove. I have always eaten pizza like that. I was glad to see it when I was in Italy...vindicated!
    You're right Hosta. It's this rush to pick up traits that 'look or sound cool' that irritates me. Thankfully I have a certain amount of influence over many many (so many) teens so I spend my days saying 'we're not the 51st state. The word is "_____"'. 
    edited September 2018
    Hostafan1 said:
    You’re supposed to hold them by the crimp and eat them while down a tin mine ... you Devonians ... iggerant lot  :o;)
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Hostafan1 said:
    You’re supposed to hold them by the crimp and eat them while down a tin mine ... you Devonians  :o;)
    OK, I promise to hold them in my hand when I'm in a tin mine.
    Devon.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 23,513
    Pizza is definitely finger food.  Calzone is just an Italian version of a pasty and very practical for active picnics as I recall from our old sailing days.   Fun to make too.  Can't remember the last time I had a Cornish pasty but probably when I was about 12 and on holiday in Cornwall.

Why though, do we now have to have thick crust pizzas and pizza dough with cheese rolled in the edges and ham and pineapple/smoked salmon/chorizo???????????

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
    edited September 2018
    Obelixx said:
    ...  Why though, do we now have to have thick crust pizzas and pizza dough with cheese rolled in the edges and ham and pineapple/smoked salmon/chorizo???????????

Agree ... the crust is for feeding the ducks/dogs with  ;)