Forum home The potting shed

Ghastly American imports

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 18,004
    Americans are no better and no worse than any other people.

I have quite a few American relatives and they are delightful people.

I just wish that we didn’t have to ape their culture and language and think that by doing so we were somehow improving our own culture and language.

And now I shall bid you all a fond farewell.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 4,065
    edited September 2018
    pansyface said:

I just wish that we didn’t have to ape their culture and language and think that by doing so we were somehow improving our own culture and language.

I don't believe there is a planned improvement intended in the import. It's only that so many of the TV shows we watch are American, the language and traditions have become so familiar to us, we forget we are 'culturally appropriating' them. And the reason there are so many US TV shows on our screens is that a lot of them are much better than our own TV - or have been. It seems to go in phases, sometimes we have lots of great British TV, but there have been quite long stretches of time in the last 30 years or so when nothing even vaguely watchable was being made here.

Bio security is an issue for an island relative to any other country, but proximity makes Europe a bigger threat, on the whole, than America.
    “It's not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing it.” ― Terry Pratchett
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 26,638
    pansyface said:
    Americans are no better and no worse than any other people.

I have quite a few American relatives and they are delightful people.

And now I shall bid you all a fond farewell.

Apart from the relatives bit, I agree wholeheartedly, especially the "I just wish that we didn’t have to ape their culture and language and think that by doing so we were somehow improving our own culture and language." bit.

Devon.
  • josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,532
    Sure, some real neat things have come from the US, so would someone like to start a thread for all the good things we have gained from the Americas?  I have been twice to the USA and thoroughly enjoyed it, and twice to visit my folks in Canada which is a bit more like the US than we are.  (One part of our family lives in a "condo".)

Meanwhile, I'll continue this thread by mentioning Cruise missiles.  
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 66,330
    I’ve  never really understood why they’re named after an actor .... but I suppose that’s America for you  :/
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 23,563
    If we want more UK bred TV and film we have to pay for it thru increased license fess for the Beeb and greater subsidies for home-made film and TV projects by independents and that means more taxes.  As with everything, you get what you pay for.

I enjoy many people and things from the USA but there is much I wouldn't want at all and find unpleasant or uncomfortable.   I don't have that feeling of discomfort in mainland Europe and nor did I have it when I visited Oz.  I think I would in many other  countries where attitudes to the poor, women, etc are so alien to my own.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,532
    I recently found out that "aluminum", with stress on the second syllable is correct.  Apparently, after it was discovered and named, British scientists assumed it was a mistake and inserted the second "I" to conform with all the other elements that end in "ium".  Can't remember where I read that - it might have been in this very potting shed.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 66,330
    There was there was a tv or radio programme that mentioned it not long ago ... might have been QI?
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• SkandiSkandi Northern DenmarkPosts: 1,009
    I have spent the last four years happily correcting my husbands English. (he's not a native speaker so learnt American) I'm nearly there just got to get the tomatoes and potatoes sorted, occasionally have a slip but matters have hugely improved.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 23,563
    edited September 2018
    My daughter, born and brought up in Belgium, learned English from her parents, Disney, the Beeb and then lots more TV and cinema.  Uses a lot of USA expressions but is happy - now - to be corrected and has learned to start again, with a smile, when she begins a sentence with "So".
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw