Forum home The potting shed

Ghastly American imports

• KT53KT53 Posts: 4,708
    "Can I get" in coffee shops instead of "May I have".  It's not self-service so no you can't get...
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 17,999
    “Thanks for the heads up”. Whose heads are not naturally “up”, other than drunks’ on the pavement? Do they mean “Thanks for the tip”?

Typically American, using two words where one will do. 

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 26,610
    How about Mr Prime Minister? I'd never heard that before Mr bLIAR was PM.
    "Going to the movies" and not "cimema".
    Z and not S in words like authorise .
    I must stop , my blood will boil. 
    Devon.
    “Going forward”, Hazel, you shall not hear about the DTs from me.😊
  • Joyce21Joyce21 Posts: 15,489
    Outages instead of power cuts.
    SW Scotland
    Not only outage but a power outage. 

As in “there was a power outage at the facility”. 

Facility. There’s another one. Why not call the thing by its name?
  • PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 2,303
    Ah yes. All these things are deplorable but it is OUR FAULT. We imported these horrors, every one and I am prepared to bet that we all use some of them, especially if we need to communicate with our offspring. Even the squirrels were brought here by somebody.
    I can put my hand on my old ticker and say that I have never used any of these vile Yankee imports, never been into a Macdonalds of a Starbucks, never taken part in trick or treat , never sung along to Vera Lynn. Not even when drunk.

I sleep very badly and often listen to the radio in the wee small hours. If I turn on the BBC World Service I can almost guarantee that the voice I hear will have an American accent.

• MarlorenaMarlorena East AngliaPosts: 4,270
    Hmmm... I generally like Americans, and usually I find them more polite than British people, - some evidence of that on this thread, as the British have a long standing reputation of superiority and condescension - sorry to be so blunt.... and the UK has imported a whole lot worse, than ... a Big Mac..

I think if I was an American looking in, I would find this thread rather unsavoury and    it never serves a useful purpose to pick on a nationality, unless it's your own...  in fact I find there's something rather cowardly about it..  even if disguised in jest...

Here's a wonderful American bred import...  if you like this sort of thing... as long as Europe keeps Rose Rosette Disease away, and we should be very careful about importing rose budwood from the U.S. at the current time..

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 8,849
    I am with you Marlorena.

I love America, fantastic country and have met many lovely Americans.
    We find their language odd, well it is another country so surely we would expect that.
    What about Australian?
    Walk out to winter, swear I'll be there.
    Chill will wake you, high and dry
    You'll wonder why.