Forum home The potting shed

Ghastly American imports

This thread is an offshoot from Curmudgeon's Corner.

Grey squirrels

Hallowe'en

McDonald's

"And I'm, like ...... so they were, like..."

A lot of television.

• herbaceousherbaceous E. BerksPosts: 2,009
    Do not underestimate TV, I reckon it is how the USA will gradually take over the world! A long time ago a rumour had it that IBM would take on twice the number of apprentices (or interns if you prefer) as they needed. When the numbers were whittled down the rest of the industry inherited IBM converts familiar with many of the software and hardware products. Commerce by stealth, stay vigilant.
    "The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."  Sir Terry Pratchett
  • josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,532
    Vera Lynn tried to warn us about invasive species from the Americas:  "There'll be bluebirds over the White Cliffs of Dover."
  • treehugger80treehugger80 Posts: 1,923
    edited September 2018
    coffee, since when did we get such range, black or white used to be good enough?
    Starbucks has a lot to answer for!
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 65,451
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,234
    edited September 2018
    I'm super excited about this thread. I think it will be like soooo fun! 
    Mobil
    Killawmeter
    Skedule
    Right guys let's go right ahead and think of some more. It'll be soooo fun.
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 5,531
    Donald Trump and specifically his bleedin golf courses.

The BTO have reported that grey squirrels make up over 50% of the diet of goshawks in their study areas so will be very beneficial if the goshawk population is to recover.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,358
    'zee' instead of zed. My daughter says it all the time  >:)

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 22,803
    In 1988 OH was posted to Austin for a 4 month stint at IBM.  I went to visit for hols.  landed at Dallas and the first thing I saw was a JR type with the hat, string tie, big buckle and snakeskin boots.  Wonderful.  OH was staying in apartments with pool, gym, bar and resident hostess/caretaker, all of 25 yrs old.  She told me my accent was "so cute".  Had to tell her that since I was speaking English from the mother country she was the one with the accent.

Rap! Cocoa-cola!  American pancakes - they're drop scones for heaven's sake!
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 2,042
    Anyways, I wanna hit some gardens like Inveraray Castle when I visit England. It will be real good.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,358
    Picidae :D  - and while I'm there, do you know a guy called John? He lives in Carlisle.... 
    it's just down the road.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....