Forum home Plants

Snowdrops

I have some Snowdrop bulbs to plant this weekend will they be okay in pots?

• yes they'll be fine in pots, just keep them damp as they don't like drying out
  • when can I expect to see the flower/grow?

• leaves should be up just after Christmas, flowering about early February time
  • Thanks I think they will keep damp in this weather we are having right now!
    In the shade or sun?
  • full sun, in nature they're in woodland when there are no leaves on the trees to give shade, you just have to keep them damp when they're flowering and dying back in the spring
  • LynLyn Posts: 23,190
    Mine are in total shade, north facing with a tall laurel hedge behind. (Photo is when the laurels were just planted) 
    if you have just bought them as dried out bulbs they may not flower this Spring, maybe they have been dug up from somewhere else. 

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,412
    I have a galanthophile friend who says they don't do well in pots for long

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • Lyn that is a beautiful view - your snowdrops look lovely among the grass, so natural, and I can see daffodil leaves poking through too. How long did it take for this area to be filled with them?
    My late mum bought me some snowdrops "in the green" which over the years have appeared in various parts of the garden as the birds disperse the seeds. For sentimental reasons I just cannot remove a single one of them - they are in the lawn, in the flower beds, in the veg patch ......
    I agree with your friend nutcutlet - snowdrops don't really like to be restricted in containers, but they may do well for a year or two.
  • LynLyn Posts: 23,190
    My dad started planting them about 30  years ago and they’ve just spread, if I find any in the grass I pop them in there. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Beautiful @Lyn..... Snowdrops and Lily of the Valley are my favourites.My snowdrops didn't do anything in pots,so they are now in the ground,with hopefully an increase!😁
    The whole truth is an instrument that can only be played by an expert.