Forum home Tools and techniques

Winter cherry pot display

Hi all,

Still having a go with containers - but I feel like I’m missing something.  Why does their display look great, and mine like I’ve just chucked three plants in? (which I have!)

https://www.gardenersworld.com/how-to/grow-plants/winter-cherry-pot-display/

• JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 3,360
    I like yours, the colours are more subtle.
    But to try to answer your question, their orange berries and pansies and brown/dark foliage pick out the two colours of their pot.  The pictures lower down the page are of a different pot and slightly different plants, with the orange berries/flowers toning with a terracotta pot. Also their pots look fuller which is OK for instant impact but not if it's meant to be a long-term planting.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,520
    If you look at the colour of the cherries [in their pot] and the colour of the pansies - you have a common link there.  Both then work with the bronze carex.
    The overall effect is nailed with the pot colours themselves.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• JoeXJoeX Posts: 1,472
    Aah. So obvious now you say it but I never even consider the pot itself!

I havent found any orange pansies yet, so maybe I need something that works better with the terracotta. Or contrasts like a deep red or purple.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,520
    Sorry TP - I b*ggered off after posting!
    I think you're spot on with picking something in a rich red or purple. That will work very nicely with the other plants, and the soft terracotta of the pot will work with everything.

I meant to ask you if you had put a Cornus in the pot, as I could see one in the next pot and it looked similar. You may find it gets very unbalanced with the other planting [very tall ]- it certainly couldn't stay in the pot long term, but there will be other things that will fit. 
    Just don't ask me to name one right now..... ;)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

Just an update to show what it was like in december:

Quite nice in person, I would have got more winter cherry if I’d had the chance again.
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 6,858
    Could you get a deep plummy hellebore in that gap? It looks like you need something else a bit taller between the winter cherry and the grass. Otherwise, nice pot!
    Lizzie27 said:
    Could you get a deep plummy hellebore in that gap? It looks like you need something else a bit taller between the winter cherry and the grass. Otherwise, nice pot!
    Thank you :smile:

You could be right.  It’s not a very good photo and I’ve move everything into the ground since.  When the purple pansies are doing well it does bring out the cherry, so I could see a double ellen working well in support.  Maybe try that next autumn 👍