Forum home The potting shed

Winter for gardeners

2»

• Suggestion: In your leaflets (I presume you do this), add suggestions about "Winter gardening"  "Ideal time for...... xyz
  • We got more done in the garden last Winter than in Summer. You can see what you're doing for clearing and hacking when the leaves are off. 
    Trees, hedges and ditches.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 29,942
    "back in the day " when I was a gardener, I used to give up at the end of November and go to Goa for 3 months and come back the last day of February.
    Not an option open to all, but it suited me a treat.
    Devon.
  • Well weve had the devils own job to try and locate someone with a small truck to take away our conifer cuttings and old rotted decking! No one was interested in earning a few quid! To be honest we would have been prepared to pay well if anyone HAD been interested.
    I don't think you'll have a problem if you're prepared to tackle most things associated with gardens etc.
    The whole truth is an instrument that can only be played by an expert.
  • Agree totally @Valley Gardener. Everyone wants the big glory jobs but no-one seems interested in getting down and dirty. I had to learn to plaster because I couldn't find a prima donna plasterer willing to take on a smallish job.
    I asked a 'gardener' to come and clear a back garden including 50ft x 12ft leylandii hedge. He never came back to me. The chap who did take it on was handsomely paid and got the next two jobs too. One of those was putting up a fence and cost two limbs!
    My mum's neighbour took early retirement but it didn't really suit him so now he does what anybody asks him. Deliveries, pressure hosing, general maintenance, taxiing....right now he's facing my field hedge and I'm not even there!!!  :D
    Kudos @NewBoy2! Respect!