Forum home The potting shed

Storm Ali - lost both me greenhouses

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 23,340
    Don't prune it back yet.  It may well survive OK and, if not, the extremities will take the frost and protect the core.   Is the framework OK?  Could you cover it with a huge sheet of plastic like a polytunnel?  Sold by the metre in good DIYs and garden centres.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 4,049
    Very dispiriting for you. It's stormy again today and possibly another one on Sunday - neither is expected to be as bad in the same areas, but beware when making plans for the clear up, especially any temporary structures - they'll need to be fairly sturdy.

On the upside, apart from the toms and cucumbers, everything you listed there will be alright outside for a little while at the moment, including the fig and the grape. So concentrate on clearing up the broken glass for now. 
    “It's not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing it.” ― Terry Pratchett
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 16,819
    Shame about that, on the upside though, two brand new greenhouses from your house insurance.  Maybe they will pay for a professional to erect them. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• SkandiSkandi Northern DenmarkPosts: 986
    Oh no. We've got a storm coming in here tomorrow, predicted 60mph steady winds gusting to 90. I've taken the plastic off my pollytunnels, had to sacrifice my peppers,cucumbers and the last of the tomatoes but better than losing the tunnels, they won't stand up to that. My greenhouse is a very old handmade job in glass, it may or may not survive. hoping it will.
    Some thick boots and gloves are what you need, cleaning up glass is never fun, good luck!
  • raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 4,049
    Can you put some sort of netting over the greenhouse @Skandi? Something like butterfly netting you put over the cabbages? If you fix it securely to battens either side and fix the battens to the ground or the greenhouse base, if the worst happens and the glass breaks, the net should hold the glass in a more confined area so you aren't picking it out of the whole garden for years to come
    “It's not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing it.” ― Terry Pratchett
  • NewBoy2NewBoy2 BristolPosts: 1,640
    Wish you all the best for next year when you are "Up and Running again "

IT AINT WHAT HAPPENS TO YOU ITS HOW YOU REACT TO IT THAT MATTERS   B)B)
    Everyone is just trying to be Happy.
  • Lily PillyLily Pilly Central southern Scotland Posts: 3,845
    So sorry about so sorry about your greenhouses, really empathise 
    we  have learnt over the years with our place that damage gives way i new ideas.
    maybe resiting the new greenhouse? Good luck 
    Weeds are flowers, too, once you get to know them.”
    A A Milne
  • sabeehasabeeha Posts: 276
    oh so sorry to hear about what happened  :( it must be devastating :(
  • tessagardenbarmytessagardenbarmy York,North YorkshirePosts: 346
    Commiserations  x. Couple of years ago my boss (we lived on edge of small Pennine town),got  a phone  call  from his next door neighbour . Apparently  his conservatory  had been lifted clean off  it's foundations and had been deposited  upside down  in neighbours  garden. 
    Got fed up with sound of breaking glass in my similarly exposed greenhouse and gradually replaced my panels with polycarbonate . If they blow out you can retrieve them and clip them back in. 
  • Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge WearsidePosts: 2,960
    Sorry to hear about your greenhouses, wish I could help you clear up. Hopefully as Lyn says your insurance will sort it.