Forum home The potting shed

Storm Ali - lost both me greenhouses

Didn’t realise this storm would be so bad. I think it was the different wind direction, as I have plenty defences up, both greenhouses been up 6 or 7 years. 
OH informed me 6x8 greenhouse was on the floor about 3pm. Arrrggghhh! I immediately hatched a plan of moving stuff to the other greenhouse. Wait until the wind drops a bit. By 5pm other greenhouse was on the floor too. 
All my plants on the floor, and covered in glass. 
Quite worried about the amount of glass to move. It’s flown everywhere. Dog has to be strictly controlled tomorrow, which will be new for her. 
I know nobody died, but feeling pretty down. Lots of work ruined. 

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 8,229
    Sorry to hear that @a1154. I know what you mean, but at least no one was injured.  Hopefully tomorrow things will have calmed down a bit  and you can assess the situation. Do you have any family or neighbours who can take in the plants while you sort stuff out ?   
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 26,207
    It'll take a while to get over the shock, even tho no-one died, as it's devastating when your treasures are wiped out by weather.   I had all my rhubarb and hostas and lots of shrubby and climbing and other plants shredded by a tornado carrying hailstones one May.  Took me a week to feel able to get out and do something with it all.

You'll need to be careful and thorough clearing up that glass.  Good luck.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 71,753
    edited September 2018
    So sorry to hear that ((hugs)) Hope the wind is dropping now and that you’ll be able to have a restful night. 
    We went through the great storm of ‘87 so I know what it’s like. 
    Wish we were nearer to help with the clear up.  :'(
    Take care of yourselves. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• PerkiPerki Rossendale - LancashirePosts: 2,009
    I were a bit taken back how windy its been, sorry to hear about your GH a1154  :( I hope all goes well with the clean up and maybe a future GH or polytunnel. 
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 5,421
    Sorry to hear about the damage.  Things getting smashed is bad enough but the big problem is trying to get all the glass.  We've been fortunate where I live in Gloucestershire, at least in the less exposed areas.  I had to put up additional support to keep my runner beans up but that's all.
  • a1154a1154 Posts: 856
    After the clear up it’s definitely time for a review, you are right Perki. Do you still have the sports bike? Very nice. I have an MT07.
    i have made a list and small pots can be moved, big pots can be cropped now (tomatoes, cucumbers), or moved (blueberries). I have some grow beds with pak Choi and Asian veg, not sure there is a place for them, might be the compost heap. Real problem is the permanent in the ground plants. One greenhouse had a black Hamburg vine, I’d been training round the greenhouse for a while, so it’s pretty big. Lots of grapes.  The other a fig tree. Again quite big. I think I’d better prune to very small and dig up.
  • PurplerainPurplerain Posts: 1,052
    Sorry to hear about the damage @a1154. My beloved arch is down along with the clematis. Pots strewn everywhere. A very heavy branch came down in front of my car as I was driving. I have heard it intends to return on Sunday. It was a fierce one.

SW Scotland
  • PerkiPerki Rossendale - LancashirePosts: 2,009
    Hi a1154 yes I do still have the bike , was planning a trip out yesterday to pick up some alliums bulbs, only way out of the valley is over the tops so didn't bother don't want blowing away. It a nice bike the the handlebars a very advanced which makes the wrist ache after a while, a bike like a MT07 would probably suit me better. 

I wouldn't know what to recommend for the grapevine, maybe make a temporary frame until it it gone dormant then a hard prune ? 
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 29,053
    Hosta hugs from me too. 
    Devon.
  • I had my black hamburg out all of last winter with no visible effect.