Forum home Problem solving

Composting

hello
i am looking for a wood shredder that will reduce the chippings to a resonance size for me to add to the compost heap.
my problem is I can find a small chipper but not one that can cope with large branches that reduces them small enough.
does anyone have experience with this please.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 33,273
    those which tackle large branches run into several thousands of pounds. Maybe get a decent pile together and hire one. £80 a day in these parts.
    Devon.
  • Hostafan1 said:
    those which tackle large branches run into several thousands of pounds. Maybe get a decent pile together and hire one. £80 a day in these parts.
    Agreed Hosta - I have one in the shed that stay put. If the branches are small enough for it, they can simply be put on compost without using it. Pointless

• Thank you
    i know the one in the local shop was 500 euros and it didn’t do 
    What I wanted. Problem is I have a very large garden renting one is 450 euros per day plus delivery.so was looking for a long term solution.
    Long term solution = buy a big shredder.
    Devon.
  • JoeXJoeX Posts: 1,783
    How small is small enough to compost, and how big a branch does it need to take?

Im really pleased with my wood chipper but use the chips for mulch, and large branches I cut up for firewood.
  • Think your right just got to reach into the pocket
  • Tin pot 
    what chipper do you have?
  • PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 3,601

You can buy petrol driven shredders strong enough to cope with quite thick branches. The more powerful, the more expensive. Some have a chipping function separate from the shredding function. If you spend 450 Euros per day and you use it frequently then buying would be worthwhile, but it should be regarded as an investment. Google chippers and shredders to see what's available and check the reviews.

Incidentally, I put chippings separate from my compost heap because they need much longer to rot down. I mix them together when the wood is well on the way to being cooked.

• Thanks Posy
    I get chippings delivered by a couple of local tree surgery companies and at this time of year it's cooking away nicely even as they dump it from the truck. I use winter ( leaf free ) chipping for the paths in the polytunnel and allotment.
    Devon.