Forum home Problem solving

Scam Phone Call

The user and all related content has been deleted.

• LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 7,573
    Thanks for the heads-up, MrsGlaze.  Forewarned is forearmed...
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 6,647
    We've had similar calls purporting to be from Microsoft - "We detected a problem with your computer".  If we're not too busy we try to have a bit of fun and see how long we can string them along for  >:) (on the grounds that while we're keeping them on the phone they're not calling someone else). We probably have about 10 computers in the house including both our work ones and various (very) old ones that aren't used much any more, plus several Android tablets (Oh, you detected the cracked screen, that's clever of you, can you fix it please?), so "Which one?" is always a good start.  The longest I managed to keep them on the line before they hung up was about 20 minutes.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,527
    I explained to one chap who phoned re my ‘internet problem’ that he should get a proper job that would contribute to his country and make his children proud of him.

He rang back the next day asking if I would sponsor him to come to this country and help him get a better job. 

Hoist with my own petard  :/
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Sorry @Dovefromabove , but I nearly fell off my chair laughing :D.   You can't fault him for sheer cheek.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,527
    I know ... he seemed serious too ... he was struggling to make ends meet and knew that the job was a scam ... he had another job and did the phone one at night. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
    It's always wise to check.  I've only ever had two seemingly-suspicious calls that turned out to be genuine - both from credit card companies querying unusual transactions on my cards.  In both cases I called them back on the number from my statement.
  • I've had those phone calls loads of times. I treated them as scams, but I also checked with my IP provider that was what .they were, and that I wasn't being obstructive.
    It's a robot call, so I just end the call, but if it's a real person I find saying "Really?!" in the right tone of voice usually stops them.
    I string them along sometimes too, just for fun. The best was when I annoyed one of them so much he called me an idiot! :D
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 32,453
    I like the real ones too. I think I've gone well over half an hour.
    " Oh, can I just and fetch a pen?" 
     a few mins later " right , I'm back now. Oh dear this pen doesn't work, I'll be right back " a few mins later " oh, now there's someone at the door, please don't go away, I really want you to help me" 
    Devon.