Forum home The potting shed

Garden Illustrated Magazine ?

PerkiPerki Rossendale - LancashirePosts: 2,009
Thinking about subscribing I need something to read over the winter, I can't find them in asda etc to have a nosy through to see if I like . I had one a long time ago and it seemed more planted based, is this still the case ? Do RHS members get a monthly magazine as well ? if they do is it any good. 

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 15,337
    The RHS magazine is delivered every month to RHS members. I think it is good for more experienced gardeners. I buy Garden Illustrated sometimes. I usually have a flick through to see if there is something to interest me.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • PerkiPerki Rossendale - LancashirePosts: 2,009
    Thanks fidget I'll have a think about the RHS membership. I used to subscribe to GWorld magazine but its seems to be aimed at more of the amateur gardener, some bits were of interest.
  • Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 3,133
    I'm subscribed to "Gardens Illustrated", which I read from cover to cover every month. Great pictures, informative articles, highly recommended. ;)
    You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
  • chickychicky SurreyPosts: 9,755
    I subscribe to GI too - I like it, but it features more overseas gardens than most.  I wouldn’t say it is overly plant based.

My favourite is still the English Garden (includes lots of Scottish and Welsh ones too 😉).  Still read GW, but more for the hints and tips 
    We did not inherit the earth from our grandparents.  We’re borrowing it from our children.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 71,873
    I really like the RHS magazine ... in depth but readable articles written by experts, great photos and reliable news about horticultural issues. It’s the magazine I hoard and go back to, to read again. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• I agree about the RHS magazine and for the price of the subscription you also get the benefits of being in the RHS!
    The pictures are better in the GW magazine, but the arty ones annoy me when I want to see what a plant looks like. It is often light on detail in the articles and there is a lot of repetition from year to year - to be expected of course, but without other things it becomes less interesting after a year or two.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 29,070
    I used to subscribe to GI. It's more of a "coffee table" kind of magazine, if that makes sense.
    Looks lovely , some in depth plant profile stuff , more " look at these lovely gardens" rather than " what you should be doing and how" kinda thing. 
    I'm a member of RHS and love the magazine, but I used to keep them all but rarely went back to them so they all went when we moved here. I give them to my hairdresser now for her shop.
    Devon.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 26,229
    Another vote for the RHS - free entry to gardens, access to experts for free advice, seeds scheme and a monthly magazine with topical news, research, what to do now, plant trial results, garden visits with photos and good articles.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Joyce21Joyce21 Posts: 15,489
    Hostafan1 said:
    I used to subscribe to GI. It's more of a "coffee table" kind of magazine, if that makes sense.
    Looks lovely , some in depth plant profile stuff , more " look at these lovely gardens" rather than " what you should be doing and how" kinda thing. 
    I'm a member of RHS and love the magazine, 
    Agree with Hosta on both points.
    SW Scotland
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 29,070
    Joyce21 said:
    Hostafan1 said:
    I'm a member of RHS and love the magazine, 
    Agree with Hosta on both points.
     :D 
    Devon.