Forum home Problem solving

Dorcas Jarvis

Hi everyone,I have  been busy deadheading and tidying up in my small town garden which has been a pleasure to sit and work  in this summer, However 3of the 4 clematis dis=d not flower this time. I must admit 2 of them I moved last year from a north facing site to a south facing one because they had not flowered the previous year,Also I moved my Passion flower to the south facing section as it had not flowered for 2 years in its previous spot which was north east facing. Any ideas please? Should I give up on them.Two of the clematis was Princess Kate and Cardinal Rouge, which I purchased last year and  the other was Sieboldii which was 2 year old.

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 27,628
    Patience and TLC!  Clematis can take a couple of years to settle down and get their roots happy before they start on the showy stuff up top.  They are thirsty, hungry plants and yours are having to cope with being moved too so just make sure they never go thirsty in dry spells and give them plenty of slow release clematis feed next spring.   A dollop of bonemeal worked in now around their roots will also help.

Can't help with the passion flower but I expect it too is just settling in.  It's been a hot, dry summer and that won't have helped.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,433
    I'd agree with Obelixx- if they're young plants, they'll still be getting settled, and the weather this year has been difficult even for established clematis. The shortage of [natural ] water will have been an issue, and no matter how much watering you give from a hose or can, it's never as good as proper rain soaking into the soil. Clems are pretty tough though - so I'm sure they'll come on well next year. Rouge Cardinal is a favourite of mine - gorgeous clem, and very adaptable re aspect.  :)

I don't grow passion flowers either, so can't help with that.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• DorcascentsDorcascents Posts: 132
    Obelixx and Fairygirl thank you both for your comments  re my clematis issues..I apologise for not responding before, but must say I acted on your advice and have positive results on clematis. Still awaiting to se how my passionflower performs. Thank you both. Love your quotes.I would put photos on but they are  too large and I need to find out how to reduce them