Forum home Tools and techniques

BritishGardenCentres.com - safe or unsafe

Was looking for some long handled bulb planters and came across this website. Has anyone used this site to purchase anything as i'm a little concerned that it's not showing up as secure in google chrome and i can't find any reviews on trustpilot?

the price of some Josepth Bentley Long handled planters appears at half the price of anywhere else ("12.99) as do some other items. too good to be true?

• PerkiPerki Rossendale - LancashirePosts: 1,952
    I bought the JB bulb planter off them a couple of years ago think it a £10 then. One of their Garden centres are quite close to me so wasn't put off. I got mine directly online.
  • Joyce21Joyce21 Posts: 15,489
    I've never come across the site.
    SW Scotland
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 14,963
    Pay for it using a credit card. Then if it doesn't turn up, you can chase the credit card people for your money back.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 8,259
    I've never heard of them or seen them before, but that doesn't mean much.
  • Or use Paypal if they have that facility.    You won't be giving your card details to a dodgy site and you can get your money back with a dispute if you need to.
    I wish I was a glow worm
    A glow worm's never glum
    Cos how can you be grumpy
    When the sun shines out your bum!
  • @LauroRoslin, they don't take paypal unfortunately, but on the basis that an established member has used them  successfully( Thanks @Perki), i went through the checkout process and the final stage does take you to what appears to be a secure payment gateway. I used a credit card as per @fidgetbones and got an order confirmation email , so now i just have to sit tight in anticipation! If all works out well, I will write to them asking why they don't use a secure website or publish contact details for the webshop. I'll post back here either way to let others know.

Thanks for your inputs.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 67,385
    I find that many quite reputable sites are only ‘secure’ at the checkout stage. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• KT53KT53 Posts: 4,876
    Pay for it using a credit card. Then if it doesn't turn up, you can chase the credit card people for your money back.
    CC company liability only kicks in for purchases of £100 or more so won't help if a £12.99 item fails to arrive.
  • AlchemistAlchemist OxfordPosts: 221
    They are okay. Got my bulb planter last week based on an old discussion here. Took a week to arrive but found it to be very good. Nice and sturdy and does the job well. 
  • Good news , the planter arrived today, a day early! Looking forward to getting out once the winds die down and rain gives way.

on first inspection, it looks like a well build unit.

they have some good deals at the moment, it looks like they are some kind of cooperation of multiple local garden centres, so well worth supporting I think.