Forum home The potting shed

Which garden hose diameter do you use?

For my student engineering project, I need to find out what is the garden hose diameter that is most commonly used amongst gardeners. 

This information would be greatly appreciated!

Which garden hose diameter do you use? 2 votes

10mm, 3/8"
0%
12.5mm, 1/2"
100%
SuesynJennyJ 2 votes
15mm, 5/8"
0%
19mm, 3/4"
0%
27mm, 1 1/16"
0%
Other, please specify
0%

• KT53KT53 Posts: 5,421
    I don't think you really need a survey to get the answer for 90% of people.  Hose available in garden centres or DIY shops is almost exclusively 1/2".  Larger diameter will generally be used in commercial environments.
  • Hampshire HogHampshire Hog HampshirePosts: 330
    As KT says you don't get a lot of choice unless you shop commercially but for the record I use 12.5 at home and 19mm at the allotment.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in."
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 29,053
    KT53 said:
    I don't think you really need a survey to get the answer for 90% of people.  Hose available in garden centres or DIY shops is almost exclusively 1/2".  Larger diameter will generally be used in commercial environments.
    I'd say nearer 99% of domestic gardeners use 1/2" diameter.
    Well done on the most pointless survey request.
    Devon.
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 7,488
    I agree with the above - totally pointless.
    Try googling - 27mm garden hose -  there are none

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 29,053
    I am reminded of a friend who did voluntary work in Equitorial Guinee looking at ways of controlling rats. They set up traps and counted, and logged etc to see if numbers were going up or down until one of the locals said " look in the market and see if prices for rat meat is going up, or down, that'll tell you how many there are"
    Devon.