Forum home Tools and techniques

Fixing hollow in lawn

I've just scarified and had hollow tining done. Will be top-dressing and overseeding this weekend. The hollow above is where you step onto the lawn, highlighted in red in the first picture.

Given the depth of the hollow I know it would be best to lift the turf and under-fill. What would be the best way to cut it with minimal obvious intrusion showing?

I'm a bit apprehensive though as I'd cut the edges out next to this to tidy it up and the turf wasn't exactly what I'd call willing in lifting out cleanly. I'd hate to give it a go and it end up being a disaster. Could top dressing this area quite a few times over the season be a safer bet even if it takes a while longer?

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 24,302
    I wouldn't go trying to cut grass and lift it at the moment.  It's been a difficult summer and grass has had a hard time and needs time to recover.

I don't think the gap is that bad or that noticeable so would go the top dressing route.   Let it have a thorough soaking first and a chance to green up and start growing strongly again then sprinkle on compost in thin layers so you don't kill it off again.  Repeat as the grass grows thru it until the level is achieved.  
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 3,360

Yes, I think top-dressing is the way to go.  Use a wee bit extra on that area for now, then build it up gradually over next spring and summer when the grass is growing well.

If you can, mix in some sharp sand (or garden soil if yours is sandy/light) with the compost for top-dressing, or that bit will forever be more lush than the rest (I had a green area in my brown lawn this summer, where I had filled in a hollow with compost probably 25 years ago).

• It's bags of Westland top soil I have, you reckon the same would apply with that or just compost?

The edges along the border and path also slope slightly so was going to do the same there with repeated dressings in spring.
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 3,360
     If your garden soil is middling to good then the bagged topsoil should be a reasonable match.  I assumed you meant multipurpose potting compost.  I have poor sandy soil so anything richer for topdressing is good in an even layer all over but not so good to fill hollows - it made the lawn growth very variable with lush patches where the hollows were.  Fortunately I'm not bothered enough to do anything about it :D.  My lawn topdressing these days consists of chucking on the old dried out compost from hanging baskets and containers and brushing it in all over.
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 4,876
    I had a major dip in the lawn where the contractors who did the work didn't level and firm the ground properly.  It didn't become apparent for a couple of years so I had to sort it myself.  I used a few bags of topsoil to get to the approximate level and then spread grass seed on it.  It's getting there but I'm probably going to have repeat the exercise once the new grass has established as it's still slightly low. 
  • JoeXJoeX Posts: 1,472
    Top dressing imho.

Lifting turf I don’t find that it really matters how rough the cut is, I use a regular shovel.  The grass grows back anyway.
  • Top dressing applied to the whole lawn on Saturday. 300 odd litres of soil soon disappears quickly.