Forum home Garden design

Uneven Artificial Grass

kamranateeqkamranateeq Posts: 6
edited September 2018 in Garden design
Hi,
I just installed new artificial grass in my back garden. Underneath its sharp sand and I tried my best to level up. I installed it by my self and I am not an expert.
After installing I found there are lots of bumps and grass not looking good and even. Please see attached picture. Could you please advise what should I do to make it look even and nicer? 
Also grass is looking pressesed at one side as it was rolked. How can I make it fluffy and look natural.
Thanks

• josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,532
    If you want it to look natural, replace it with real grass.
  • madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 2,422
    It seems to me that the sand underneath is not firm or level enough.
    “Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings
  • Yes underneath is sharp sand and I tried my best to level up but after walking over it, its became bumpy.  
  • K67K67 Leicestershire Posts: 2,507
    edited September 2018
    Normally you would use a compactor plate and go over the area several times before you lay the grass . You can hire them. Otherwise pull the grass back and put a piece of scaffold board or something similar down and thump the board with a heavy hammer, fill any dips and repeat until level. I am assuming you have laid at least 100mm of compacted hard-core and 50mm sand for good drainage 
    The grass ideally needs to be laid out and left for several days if it's warm, if the weather turns wet and cold you might have to leave fitting it until next year.
    Try and stretch the grass either shuffle with your feet or push with a bit of wood or use a carpet stretcher. 
    Use long pins or nails to fix the edges if you didn't put a wood frame in to fix to.
    The grass has to be weighted down with sand but both sand and grass should be dry, brush in well. If you Google grass laying it will advise on type of sand and amount needed
    This will lift up the grass. Professionals use a power brush but it's an expensive bit of kit.
    Laying artificial grass requires a lot of hard graft - I speak from experience!
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 14,055
    Consider getting the professionals in.
  • Thanks everyone, specially @K67 for detailed information. 
    Regards
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 6,429
    It looks like quite a large area, so it's going to be difficult to fix.  I suspect you are going to have to remove the grass again and do a lot more work on the substrate if you are to have any chance of success.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 31,611
    In the words of Roy Cropper : "If you fail to prepare; you should prepare to fail"
    Ground preparation for fake grass is almost more important than for real grass.
    At least when real grass grows it's more forgiving of mistakes.
    Devon.
  • So do you think, if I remove the grass and hire wracker platter to even the surface would resolve this issue or anything else I need to consider?
    Thanks
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 31,611
    Personally, I'd consider having real grass.
    Devon.