Forum home The potting shed

Harrogate autumn flower show

LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 6,701
I've been going to the Spring and Autumn flower shows at Harrogate for years.  There's always something of interest - though I was a bit disappointed last Saturday that there was less variety in the trade stands, and some of my favourite small nurseries weren't exhibiting this year.  

But as usual, the national vegetable show was held here and there was much to admire, as well as monstrosities to wonder at...

Do they polish the leeks?  They were absolutely beautiful. 

Perfectly regular...

...as well as perfectly revolting, the heaviest marrow competition.

A cornucopia of home-grown fruit on the R.V.Roger stand
"The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 9,155
    I love the giant vegetables, it seems such an eccentric thing to do, I am sure it is only Brits who do it,
    Too many hands in too many pockets
    Not enough hands on hearts
    Too many ready to call it a day
    Before the day starts
  • LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 6,701

I loved the way these dahlias had been arranged.

Scent from the huge bank of lilies was almost overpowering!

Gorgeous autumn flowers on - I think - Hardy's stand.

Wish I could grow these gentians...

Plantagogo's heucheras.  Stunning leaf colours.

Some fabulous orchids.

There weren't any show gardens as such - just a "Borderline" competition for tiny garden spaces, 2-3m long by less than 2m wide, with 6 competing designs.  This was my favourite, by KG Cooke Design of Leeds.

Did anyone else go this year?
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
  • LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 6,701
    Eccentric's the word, Punkdoc...
  • chickychicky SurreyPosts: 9,538
    Great photos Liri - always love the Hardy’s stands - she combines plants so well 😀. And love the wicker basket full of fruit ....reminds me of harvest festivals when I was a lass 😀😀

And yes, I think polishing must occur 😉

Glad you enjoyed, in spite of missing favourites .....
    We did not inherit the earth from our grandparents.  We’re borrowing it from our children.
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 4,920
    Interesting comment about less variety in trade stands and fewer small growers.  I thought the same at the Malvern Spring Show this year.
  • Kitty 2Kitty 2 ManchesterPosts: 5,150
    Thank you for sharing these lovely photo's Liri.
    I love the colour of those burgandy lillies 😍, glad we don't have smellovision though, I'm not keen on the scent 😉.

Magnificent leeks, and almost everything on the table (apart from the beets) looks to have been polished to a high shine.
     I can hear Roy Castle singing 'Dedication' in my head as I look at them 😀.
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 3,408
    I went on Friday.  It rained a bit but there was plenty of indoor/undercover stuff to look at.  I came back with quite a few new plants and miscellaneous other odds & ends :D .
  • PerkiPerki Rossendale - LancashirePosts: 1,952
    Thanks for the pic Liriodendron, I were going to go myself but changed my mind with the rain forecast  :/
  • Mary370Mary370 Limerick, Ireland Posts: 1,954
    Great pics..........lovely to see pictures from shows I would never get to
  • Hampshire HogHampshire Hog HampshirePosts: 330
    Unfortunately I think the lack of trade stands etc is just down to cost / budget its cant be cheap to have a stand and potential profit drives everyone to pick and choose where they exhibit and now it's also late in the season.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in."