Forum home Fruit & veg

Pumpkins.

When’s the best time to cut the pumpkin from the vines. The leaves have all gone brown and crusty. The vines are yellowing. The pumpkins are hard and orange.  We want the for Halloween rather than food. 

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 15,861
    If the skin is so hard that you cannot push a thumb nail in, it is hard enough to cut and store in a cool place.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • Hampshire HogHampshire Hog HampshirePosts: 330
    As fidget says the skin should now be or getting hard check the underside if this is still soft if you can turn this to face the light, they can be cut any time from now.

When you do cut it leave the stalk on two or three inches. 

If you live in the south you can delay the cutting and just keep watering the plant until mid October it will still grow then cut it leave in a cool light airy place and it will be ready for Halloween.

I always leave mine till October then cut ready for the autumn show at the end of October.

"A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in."
  • i just cut my pumpkins yesterday,

i just look at the vine leading up to the pumkin stem, maybe a few inches away, if its dry and turned brown, then its time