Forum home Plants

Right way up 🙃

Good afternoon, fellow gardeners!

I’m trying to plant some allium Eros and it doesn’t seem to have distinctive up/down sides. Can I plant it whichever way? I don’t think the pictures are any help.

Also, can species tulips be planted now or should I wait until November?

Thank you.

• tessagardenbarmytessagardenbarmy York,North YorkshirePosts: 346
    That's a puzzling alium. If you lay bulbs on their side they should be able to turn themselves the right way round  as the shoot grow towards the light and the roots reach down into the soil. Think it's called phototropism and geotropism if I remember  my biology lessons correctly . 
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 27,632
    They did an experiment on Beechgrove a couple of years ago where they planted daffs out right way and wrong way up.  They all grew and flowered so, as long as your soil is good and you get the depth right they'll be fine any which way up. 

The exception would be the big fritillaria imperialis bulbs which have a hollow top.  These should always be planted on their side so that water can't run in, sit and rot the bulb.

Best to leave tulips till November as they're less prone to virus and blight when planted late.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Thank you, Tessa and Obelix. I’m going back to the garden to plant them. Good to know about the fritillaria as I’ve bought some. I’ll leave the tulips until November.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 27,632
    Enjoy.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw