Forum home The potting shed

What garden jobs need doing this September? An opportunity to share and prompt others.

13»

• Hampshire HogHampshire Hog HampshirePosts: 330
    Continue to get the allotment in order ready for spring.
    Towards the end of the month check the pumpkins, if the weather is getting cold it's time to harvest The skins should be nice and hard cut but be sure to leave the stalk on and store in a dry light airy place.
    Here in the south as long as we dont get a cold snap forecast they can be left to the middle or even the end of October.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in."
  • tessagardenbarmytessagardenbarmy York,North YorkshirePosts: 346
    I've a big list of fairly standard  jobs in garden and allotment ,you know the sort of stuff:weeding,pruning,late harvesting ,tidying,storing,last minute sowings, putting green manure down and generally starting to batten down before winter. However  this dry summer  has prompted two bigger jobs. First I'm cutting  down on the number of pots and tubs I have as trying to keep them all adequately  watered was a nightmare.  New rules No small pots of any kind and no plastic pots for permanent plantings.
    Second job is to raise the level of existing  flower beds by digging everything  out,putting in raised bed wooden frame then adding  copious amounts of soil improver, compost etc to try and improve  water retention.  Even with the bit more rain we've had my soil is still like dust. Then replanting everything. 
    Gives me an excuse to move plants around and try different  combinations. 
    In the Spring after winter rainfall  I should still have room to mulch heavily too.
  • Trying to clear this and make it useable. It was where our chickens lived, all passed on now. Lots of work to clear and level, then decide what to do 
  • JoeXJoeX Posts: 1,380
    To do lists just stress me out - I have more to do lists than jobs to do.

September is still lovely here in Kent, so I’m enjoying the garden mostly.

Things I’ve already done, or am likely to do;

1. Trim trees, hedges and bushes
    2. Planted rudbeckia
    3. Shred wood
    4. Collect apples
    5. Feed beds, weed killer and feed lawn
    6. Take cuttings
    7. Plant containers near
    8. Plan next year’s planting and design
  • Hampshire HogHampshire Hog HampshirePosts: 330
    I think these months Sept & Oct are two of the busiest getting all the harvest in clearing and tidying then all the planning and preparing for next spring, I love it keeping busy and the start of the autumn days.
    Hard work some days but the feeling of satisfaction when you look back to see what you have achieved over the last year, one reason I keep a photographic diary.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in."
  • Logan4Logan4 West MidlandsPosts: 2,329
    Ordered 2 bare root roses. They should come sometime from November.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 23,499
    Watering!   Still very warm and no rain since mid June so all projects still on hold.  That leaves us picking tomatoes and courgettes and the odd cabbage and digging up potatoes as needed.  

No new beds, no sowing seeds for veggies or ornamentals.  Maybe next month.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • floraliesfloralies Haute-Garonne SW FrancePosts: 1,126
    Same as Obelixx, still watering and and still very warm. The ground is too dry to plant anything. I need to order hedging plants and some shrubs but will have to hold back until the weather is on the change.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 23,499
    At this rate that'll be Christmas!
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 3,389
    Some of my to do list is done like trimming the Flamingo Willow/next doors hedges on two sides, pulled sweet peas and bedding plants that had done, planted pansy ( and yes was supprised at how dry it still is even though we have had a little rain) still harvesting sweetcorn but they will be going soon. Greenhouse still on the go so will have to wait for the toms and cucumbers to finish before tidying. Plant list for next year is getting longer (everyone keeps posting pictures of such lovely plants and giving me ideas) The biggest job over the next two months will be leaves as I am surrounded by trees.