Forum home The potting shed

What garden jobs need doing this September? An opportunity to share and prompt others.

• AuntyRachAuntyRach Posts: 3,960
    You all sound busy. I haven’t got very far with my list yet, and tomorrow looks a bit rubbish weather wise. Shed tidying is a good idea - I still have the paddling pool inflated in there - so that can be retired until the next 30 degree day. 
    My garden and I live in South Wales. 
  • Logan4Logan4 West MidlandsPosts: 2,329
    Waiting till the end of the month so i can pull up all the pot marigolds around the path, to put the wallflowers in. I'm waiting for them to get a bit bigger. Made a mistake by sowing them 2 weeks later. I thought last year that they were too far advanced. Next year i think that i'll do it a week later.
  • @Logan my wallflowers were planted early (not by me) but they are still miniscule. How big should they be for planting out?

edited September 2018
    @Logan my wallflowers were planted early (not by me) but they are still miniscule. How big should they be for planting out?

I like to pinch them out twice before so about 8 inches or so.

Yours will be alright though.
  • SussexsunSussexsun Posts: 1,444
    I am well behind this year and won’t be able to start until my cast comes off but the list of jobs is growing daily.
    need to

cut back the falminco Salix
    weed everywhere including the patio and pathways
    empty out last years spring pots, replant the bulbs into the garden and get the pots ready for the new bulbs.
    cut back the lilies, remove sunflower dead’s to dry out for the birds, clean the bird table and bird feeders.
    mulch the flower beds, feed and mulch the pots.
    rake the oak leaves and bag up for mulching
    put the succulents into the grow house to over winter, feeding them first and removing any bits that I can grow on to make new plants.
    cut and feed the grass.
    sweep up the pine needles from next doors bloody pine tree that drops all over the back corner of my garden.
    clean and put the garden furniture away.

the list is endless😩 and I still have to buy and plant fresh spring bulbs but that is the fun bit so doesn’t count
    To see a world in a grain of sand and heaven in a wild flower Hold infinity in the palm of your hand and eternity in an hour.

@Sussexsun that's a long list.I understand how you feel. Last year in April i fractured my knee. I had a full leg caste on for 6 weeks. Then i had a leg brace on with a dial by the knee to stop me from bending it and was adjusted every week for another 6 weeks.  Then physio for 6 weeks.

• Bagpuss57Bagpuss57 South West Posts: 254
    The list is always endless but for now I need to tidy my shed, clean pots, repot tiny seedlings into bigger pots, plant out bulbs in my new border, plant out wallflowers that are ready to go in, pull out the annuals like sweet peas to give space for other stuff. Buy a new tree,  add compost to the raised beds, Pot up bedding plants I want to overwinter to keep for next year........ Etc etc etc etc
    There are also those DIY jobs to update the outhouse, repaint the outside walls, mend the garden bench! And the list goes on....plenty to keep me busy. 
  • SussexsunSussexsun Posts: 1,444
    Logan I have broken the fibula and tibia ad disclocated both from the talus. Everything has been screwed back together and I am on week 5 of non weight bearing. Two more weeks before cast comes off then hopefully physio to get me moving again.
    The boredom of not being able to get out and do anything is worse than the injury. Hope you leg is fully healed now.
    To see a world in a grain of sand and heaven in a wild flower Hold infinity in the palm of your hand and eternity in an hour.

• I have various self-seeded plants of foxglove and mullein, and after a timely prompting from Monty, I plan to relocate some of them to sensible positions. Other tasks in the next couple of weeks:
    Unpack and distribute compost
    Dig up and remove tomatoes and French beans
    Cut back herbaceous plants
    Pull out the rampant nasturtiums and compost them
    Cut back a couple of sprawling Buddleias.
    The there are my GAMI (Get A Man In) tasks:
    Give my big wild hedge an autumn cutback
    Clean out the pond, distribute sludge on the raised beds and compost the spare weed.
    @Sussexsun yes thank you my knee is better now. Hope that you are soon.