Forum home Problem solving

Steep banking

Recently we have had a frontage of trees removed and this has left us with a south facing 45% slope on to the roadside for a length of 45 metres, Our dilemma is how to secure the slope from erosion. the intention is to fence along the top side. Looking for suggestions.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 33,299
    The solution will depend, largely , on how much you're prepared to spend on it.
    I'd say it's going to be expensive.
    Devon.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,554
    Something I've seen a lot on steep banking is to clear all undergrowth and roots and then smooth the surface and peg down landscaping fabric which is porous and allows rain to get through but will stop the soil sinking or running off.  You then make planting holes and put in spreading, ground cover shrubs such as horizontal forms of juniper or cotoneaster or other.   It takes a while but does eventually cover the area and the roots help hold the soil.  I suspect it's a fairly cheap option.

The other option is a retaining wall but that will involve skilled labour and materials and be expensive, even with railway sleepers.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • If you're planning on planting on it then that will help prevent erosion.  You can mulch whatever is there to maintain good soil.
    If you aren't planning on planting on it, then why do you care? (Other than fear of your house sliding in to the road).
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 8,849
    edited September 2018
    It's a shame you didn't just lay those trees into a tidy hedge as that would have solved all your problems. Maybe you could replant a native species hedge along there. You'll no doubt get some regrowth from the tree stumps which can then be knitted into it.
    Tradition is just peer pressure from dead people