Forum home The potting shed

Halloween?

debs64debs64 West Midlands, on the edge of the Black Country Posts: 3,484
Hi all nothing to do with gardening but wondered how people feel about trick or treaters? My niece is 14 and desperate to go with a group
of friends but my sister says she is too old and people won't like it. 
Just wondered how others feel? I personally have no issues with teenagers but I know others see it differently. She is a perfectly polite girl but rather tall, and withna group do you think homeowners would be intimidated? 
Any opinions would be interesting. 

• AuntyRachAuntyRach Posts: 4,119
    I’m sure everyone has their own thoughts on this. My personal view is that it is an invasion of privacy and it is rude to ask strangers for a treat. I suppose it is exciting for little kids to dress up, but teenagers probably won’t be seen as cute or fun. In our family we were only ever allowed to go to people’s houses that we knew/also had children. Now, I never answer the door on Halloween - just my preference. 
    My garden and I live in South Wales. 
  • debs64debs64 West Midlands, on the edge of the Black Country Posts: 3,484
    I think the general rule is if a house is decorated it's ok to knock the door. I decorate and have a pumpkin ( with an electric candle inside) so expect trick or treaters and buy sweets accordingly. We usually get lots of little ones and I don't open the door after 9pm. I don't mind polite children  in costumes of any age but my sister obviously doesn't want her daughter to upset anyone but doesn't want to be a spoilsport either. 

• madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 2,301
    edited September 2018
    I am fine with teenagers round here.They seem to make a special effort with their costumes and are always polite.
    I do decorate my front door and have lots of treats ready.I quite look forward to it.
    The costumes can be quite wonderful.
    I know some people don't like strangers at their door so you should respect that fact.
    Think it is actually quite nice that toddlers,kids and teenagers do something other than be on their phones and make an effort to engage with the community!
    14 is not too old to go trick or treating,lots of teenagers take the youngsters round also have full grown adult Zombies,Witches,Devils and Draculas on my doorstep!
    “Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings
  • My youngest daughter used to go as a teenager, it was quite common where we used to live.  I was talking about it the other day to my grandaughter who is 8 and moaning she has never been, saying I wonder what would happen if you asked for a trick, I dont imagine they would have one, because they are so used to getting a treat.
  • purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 3,733
    I usually had over sixty kids visit my house( I was dinnerlady to about half of them) from 18 months to 18 years. Parents would dress up too and always brought them to see what I'd done to decorate each year. It became a competition to see who's costume I liked as they would always get an extra eyeball. I always smile when I remember them squealing with delight running down the path to tell their parents I got an eyeball!
  • VegplotmummyVegplotmummy East MidlandsPosts: 96
    My opinion is if your house is decorated then you should expect trick or treaters. It shouldn't matter what age... as long as they have made an effort. Also it engages a bit of community spirit! No pun intended lol
    I used to turn our front door lights off at 9pm however I have 2 children under 3 years so turn my lights off earlier now. 
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 5,117
    We put 'No trick or treat' notices on our porch and front windows to keep them away.  It generally works.
  • Last year we only had one group of trick or treaters,house not decorated,but we had a few sweets just in case. 
    Then on 5th of November these tiny little snotty nosed kids knocked,with a huge guy in a wheelbarrow.The youngest was about 5. They had no coats on,and were so sweet. Needless to say they got a few bob for fireworks.
    The whole truth is an instrument that can only be played by an expert.
  • Pauline 7Pauline 7 West Yorkshire Posts: 1,993
    It's a bit of mixed feelings in our house.  I don't agree with it,  you tell children not to take sweets from strangers,  then encourage them to knock on doors to ask for treats. OH likes to see them.  .....I retire up to the office on the computer and leave him to it.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 69,130
    Supervised mixed age groups are fine as long as they only visit decorated houses ... a marauding group of older teenagers using the occasion  to upset people is not fine ... only your sister knows or can find out which sort of group her daughter is hoping to join.

Egging/flouring homes and cars and upturning bins as seems to happen in some areas isn't on ... but we've never had any trouble from the delightful groups of big brothers and sisters and their smaller siblings who've turned up here in the past (with a parent or two lurking in the shadows).  
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh